Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

96 saturn sl2 cylinder head removal

Old 10-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Default 96 saturn sl2 cylinder head removal

I need help removing the cylinder head off my sl2 because i'm afraid the bushings on my crankshaft burned up one of my rods snapped due to no oil in the car. I have removed the valve cover, cams, timing belt, a/c compressor, exhaust manifold, head bolts (in correct order), and de-pressurized the fuel lines... but the damned thing still wont come off even with a little "gentle" persuasion. Can someone plz help?

Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 PM

Note, Remove cylinder head with intake manifold, exhaust manifold, fuel rails, throttle body and fuel injectors attached.
Remove front cover and timing chain.
10 head bolts.
These are items in my removel instructions. It does not specifically call out a problem area.
What did I miss.
Re-reading you posting, Timing Belt? There is not one, it is a timing chain. That might indicate something is missed.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 AM

It was a chain, i apologize for saying it incorrectly. But even still i can't get it off. I've tried hitting it with a block of wood and a hammer, using a crowbar, and i've had 2 other guys help me try and pull it off but it won't budge. Any other advice?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 AM

If you have done that much damage, why not just replace the whole engine with another good used engine? I think you are kicking a dead horse. I have several engines that will plug and play for that model. You should have a rough location in your ID for obvious reasons.

Last edited by hoseppi; 10-18-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 AM

I know even if it isn't a bushing or a rod, the cylinder wall might be cracked, or the crankshaft might be warped, the head gasket could be broken, or something else just as bad could have happened and ultimately i'm just going to replace the car b/c there are so many other things wrong with it but in the mean time i'm trying my best to tinker around w/ it and i've been trying to get the head off but it won't. So i'm still wanting any other advice on what i might be missing or why it won't come off.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

post some good pics from multiple angles

1 pic = 1000 words

Old 10-21-2010, 07:20 AM

Ok so i tried uploading the pictures directly to this website but the size of the pictures were just too big and i could get this website to allow me to post them so i put them on photobucket. If anyone could click the link i posted below and tell me if they see anything i'm missing to be able to take the head off i'd appreciate it!
http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/baku342/?action=view&current=Pictures021.jpg&newest=1#!oZZ 1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1178.photobucket.com%2Fa lbums%2Fx378%2Fbaku342%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26curren t%3DPictures021.jpg%26newest%3D1

Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

Nice set of pictures there -- very complete .... can even see where you used the crowbar in an attempt to pop the head loose

Old 10-21-2010, 05:51 PM

thank you but can you or anyone else see anything I've missed? I've taken everyone's advice and removed everything i know i should have. Even the guy at the Saturn dealership said if i removed everything i said i did it should've just come off. I'm at a complete and total loss here, i've removed the valve cover, timing chain, exhaust manifold, fuel rails and lines, throttle bottle cable, power steering pump, passenger side engine mount, head bolts, and several other bolts that probably weren't necessary but i removed them anyway just b/c they looked like they might have been holding the head on. Can anyone think of anything i have missed, or can anyone deduce anything from the pictures in the link posted above?

Old 10-22-2010, 01:59 AM

From the pictures, and I have not looked at then in a couple of days, the timing chain is still located on the front of the engine. My cylinder head removal instructions say to remove front cover and timing chain. It appears, if my memory is correct that the front cover is still on the engine which implies that if there is some interconnection going on having to with the cover and any bracketry that exist, it is still there.
Sorry, I can't copy the instruction here or tell anything from experiance. But maybe this helps some.
I have only removed the cylinder head (over head cam) from my Pontiac Sun Bird, (I wish I had never started that excersize) and my Mitsubishi (16 valve single cam). Which proves only that I was stupid enough to to tackle the job again.
As the chain gets oiled, the front cover would be something more than a dust cover which on a belt drive overhead cam, that is all it has to be.
The front cover would be some kind of a substantial part I would imagine.
Dunno, hope this gives a clue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 saturn sl2 cylinder head removal