General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

SC2 Windshield washer motor/pump not work

Old 05-01-2007, 08:15 PM

OK, I've been trying to get this thing fixed for quite some time now.

when I try to use the windshield washer, the motor kicks on, but no fluid comes out. I bought a chiltons guide, but it doesn't have anything to help me at all.

Any suggestions, pics of the motor and how to check if its clogged or anything?

Old 05-02-2007, 02:14 AM

Most washer motors are on the bottom of the fluid bottle so finding the bottle and looking for the washer motor is the first thing to do. Then with fluid in the bottle have someone cycle the windshield washer while you listen for the washer pump to activate; if itruns trace the fluid lines from the pump to the nozzle and if the motor doesn't run (be sure the person is holding the washer lever back to keep the washer pump running) look for the connector to be sure its connected. Sometimes the fluid lines are cracked and the washer pump just pumps fluid out the crack in the line. If there's no sound of the pump running then it may be power related and you'll have to look for the fuse powering the windshield wiper/washer unit. It will most likely be a broken fluid line, lineblockage, empty container, cracked container, loose wiring connector, or faulty motor. Since washer motors are seldom used they should last the life of a car.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ThaBean
OK, I've been trying to get this thing fixed for quite some time now.when I try to use the windshield washer, the motor kicks on, but no fluid comes out. I bought a chiltons guide, but it doesn't have anything to help me at all.Any suggestions, pics of the motor and how to check if its clogged or anything?

Are you pushing down the lever to activate the washer or pulling it towards you? I know when I bought my Saturn I read the lever wrong, in my '98 SC2 I at first only saw an arrow pointed down w/ the word "mist" next to it. I incorrectly assumed that that stood for the windshield washer and thought something wasn't working right. So I took it to the shop and my buddy discovered that on the end of the lever there is another arrow pointing right back at the driver with the windshield washer symbol next to it, whoops [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]. This may not be your issue but I figured I'd say something just so you could spare youself the embarassment that I went through if it is.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 05-14-2008, 04:21 PM

Its been over a year since the original poster first started this topic. So I assume its fixed or he gave up.

Either way, the problem was most likely clogged nozzles.
Doesnt happen as much on the 1993-2002 S-Series, but very common on the 1991 and 1992's.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:51 PM

It was a clog, I started to trouble shoot and started at the tank and there was mildew growing on the pump intake hose. I think the previous owner used hose water to fill the tank.
Edited by: sw2cam

Old 05-14-2008, 08:29 PM

Man. I should of bet money on that.