General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Cat conveter problem please help

Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM

I went to start my car 2001 saturn L200 the other morning and noticed terrible shaking when i started i drove it around the block and hadvery little power. Pulled back in and smelled the rotten egg smell. went to autozone for diagnostic. Cyllinder missfire but then i looked under car to see a cherry red cat conv. figured it was clogged had it replaced then changed plugs & wires. Drove 5 blocks got out and another cherry red cat. Really would appreciate any help.

other notables;

poor gas mileage, sputtering,rough idle, no power

thanks

Old 12-16-2008, 07:01 PM

thats pretty weird for that to happen. did you go to the dealership to have it replaced or did you do it yourself? also. keep the old cat, beacuse its worth some money at a metal scrap yard, also i would honestly gut the old cat and put it back on,then drive around and see what happens. if you get a code for an o2 sensor. i recomend putting an anti-fowler and putting it putting it on the sensor after the cat. if the same thing happens you need to chase down whats causeing the missfire. i could be wrong though. this has worked for an older sentra SER i had in the past though

Old 12-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Ummm,

Cherry red cat is usually the result of burning raw fuel in the cat (instead of the cylinders).

cylinder misfire = not firing so not burning the fuel and therefore passing it to the cat

What was the diag code? P xxxxplease post.

It is important to determine if the misfire is an ignition or mechanical issue (bad coil vs low compression/dead cylinder).

Old 12-21-2008, 10:34 PM

sorry im an idiot. i read over the missfire.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 PM

it turned out to be ignition control module which was a recall i was unaware of. But it was too late because the dealership is 30+ miles away and couldnt get it there. Does anyone know if they will reimburse me for the cost of the part. thanks and thanks to all for the help i really appreciate it.