General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

keeps turning over wont start right away

Old 09-27-2005, 04:05 AM

i have a 96 sl-2 it will turn over but takes about ten seconds to fire up. replaced the crankshaft position sensor. still have the problem.could it be a fuel problem or ignition. really desperate!!

Edited by: elkslayer69

Old 09-27-2005, 11:03 AM

It's probably fuel. Pull a plug, lay it on the engine block with it connected to the plug cable and crank it up. If you see the plug firing, you know ign is probably OK. If you decide it's fuel, do a EGR and throttle body clean out and change the ECTS if it's an old one.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Administrator

i think that if it was spark, it wouldnt start at all, not take ten seconds then start...it sounds like a fuel issue to me.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:53 AM

HOW DO YOU CLEAN THOSE?WHAT AND WHERE IS THE ECTS? IM NEW TO THESE KINDA PROBLEMS. IM USED TO OLDER CHEVY TRUCKS

Old 09-28-2005, 01:54 AM

WHAT IF THE FULE PRESSURE IS BLEEDING OFF AND IT JUST TAKES ABOUT THAT LONG TO GET BACK UP TO THE ENGINE?

Old 09-28-2005, 10:29 AM

Everything is on thedriver's side of the engine. Pull the air intake duct off the air filter and throttle body. Remove the throttle bodyfrom the intake manifold. Most likely your going to find the back side of the throttle plate is going to gummed up with oily road crud. Clean it up with rags and solvent. Clean up all of the vacuum and bypass ports on thethrottle body. Use a shop vac with a small extension hose to suckout as much ofthe crud as you canin the intake manifold. Make up a giant Q-tip to get in side of the intake manifold, keep cleaning. The EGR is right below the where you've been working. Looks like a O.J. can with a wire harness bolted at a 90 degree angle to the block. The EGR hasair bypass ports and a solenoid valve that foul with carbon. Clean the ports and valve seat, put a lip lock on the port and blow to make sure that your getting a good seal. Manually open and close the valve to check for smooth operation. Just a little above and toward the front is the ECTS. It's kind of tucked intoengine right under the head.It's a coolant temp sensor. It has a two wire harness connection with a snap cap. Use needle nose pliers to squeeze the cap together to get it off. The ECTS looks like a midget spark plug when you've got it out and there will be coolant dripping out of the water jacket. There are two types, the old kind has a resin tip and the new kind has a brass tip. The old resin tips crack, replace. An ECTS should be less than $20 at any auto parts store. All of this info is for my 95, should be pretty much the same for the 96. There should be a data plate on the radiator cross beam that shows you where very thing is. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

PS I bought my Saturn as a daily driver because my 76 Vette was killing me on the gas and that was before it was 2 bucks a gallon.My 95 SL has 210k on it and runs smooth as silk.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:25 AM

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THE ADVICE I WILL GET TO WORK ON IT RIGHT AWAY.