Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Newbie ?, probably beating the dead horse...

Old 10-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Default Newbie ?, probably beating the dead horse...

...but I have to ask.

Are there any longevity issues or differences in the single vs double OHC? I am looking for a SL/SW/SC no newer than '99. A friend of ours has a '98 SL2 that has impressed me for its durability (he drives it hard), and although I've heard that these cars are really tough, I need to know what those who have experience recommend.

So, what would be best as a commuter car - the SOHC or DOHC? I prefer a standard tranny, DH prefers an automatic. For me to get one, it will probably be the auto so he'll drive it if we roadtrip any in it. Is there really a difference in the fuel economy? Any problems or things to look for as I search?

Thanks for any help y'all can give me, the people who have these cars, work on them and know them are who I want to hear from, not those with (agenda) one to sell!!

tnvikesfan

Last edited by tnvikesfan; 10-20-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

I have a friend trying to sell one in nj -- 2001 sc1 -- but doesn't meet your criteria so I'm not one of "those" people you alluded to above.

Others will have to fill in the details because i don't remember them (and a whole lot of other things), but in general the SOHCs tend to last longer when properly maintained. However there was a several-year span over which they were having problems with the heads on the SOHCS ---don't know the percentages but something to think about.

Someone please fill in those years.

The SOHCs of course got better gas mileage-- at the expense of HP (DOHC about 20% higher than SOHC --HP valuess on wikipedia. THe 124 HP of the DOHCs make them fun to drive---coupled with the low geared 5 speed, they handle well with the right tires.

I'm not sure where Middle, Tennessee is, but here outside Pitsburgh, it's way hilly and it's a bit of a challenge sometimes not getting creamed while pulling out into traffic in the middle of a serious incline but I'm learning to be more patient. I used to live in NJ which with little exception was flat as flat as flat as flat. It was flat and I had a blast tooling around in my two SC2s (95 , 97 both of which I still have)

Then there's the whole oil burning thing. Some burned oil. Alot. Some never did. Some switched to higher viscosity oil for better lubrication. Some didn't.
Oil control rings would get a varnish buildup, freeze up in their channels in the pistons, and allow small amounts of oil to pass into the cylinders. Or not so small amounts. Valve guide seals would wear and allow oil in as well.

But they are efficient oil burners and the factory catcons were pretty robust b/c I passed emissions inspections in NJ for years.

I could go on and on but I don't feel like it right now, so I won't--And if I did, someone around here might accuse me of being uncljohn. (you'll meet him).

Oh and we're not politically correct in any way on this forum -- go search Rubehayseed's posts for prime examples. It's all good......

Old 10-20-2014, 08:13 AM

I've owned both the SOHC and the DOHC, and personally like the SOHC just for the ease of maintenance point of view. One less camshaft to mess with. Mileage on both were pretty close to the same as both were automatics. The SOHC doesn't burn oil anywhere nearly as much as the DOHC does, at least in my experience. Choice is yours and I had no problems getting on I-40, 24 or 65 with either one. Derf, Middle TN is kind of misleading to out of state folks. TN is divided into three segments, West TN is from the Mississippi River east to the TN River, Middle TN is considered east of the TN River to the Cumberland Plateau and East TN is from the plateau to the Eastern border of the state. I happen to live on the border of West and Middle, right by the TN River. Break it down this way. Memphis is in West Tennessee, Nashville is in Middle Tennessee and Knoxville, Pigeon Forge and Bristol are in East Tennessee.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:56 AM

Thanks Derf and Rubehayseed!

I hope you didn't take me wrong re the sale aspect, I've had 'experiences' with unscrupulous individuals who will try and blow smoke to sell stuff. No worries about PC crap either, I've left boards before that only wanted cheerleaders. Wasn't one in high school, too old to start that BS now.

Would y'all recommended to run the Lucas oil additive in the S series Saturns? In my Exploder (96 4.0 5 speed), I've run the Lucas oil treatment since I got her at 207K. The previous owners had maintained her well mechanically, and since she's had no major issues I've come to the conclusion that the Lucas does help. DH's Astro (89 4.3 auto, retired currently but not because of motor issues) has over 360K on the chassis (290K on rebuilt Jasper) with using that as well.

With the SOHC and DOHC, is it basically the same motor with a different topside? Is there any difference in regular maintenance or accessibility to do it?

Our terrain here is not really aggressive. There are some hilly areas, and Monteagle mountain to the south of us, but nothing that would be driven on a daily basis that would put undue strain on a vehicle. The last 4-banger I had was an '87 Ford Ranger 2.3 5 speed (still miss that little truck, got t-boned about 5 years ago by a kid that ran a red light grrr) and I had no trouble on the interstate or going over Monteagle with it. Loved that it got 29 mpg, especially with gas so dang high!

Old 10-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Additives always come down to personal choice. I don't see that it would cause any harm.

Same block and internals as far as I know, except DOHC has twice the valves and the SOHC has one less cam.

And no, you didn't offend me -- just messin with ya. You are obviously thick skinned enough to survive here. keep posting before you get banned for inactivity. Off-topic threads are pretty fun as they mutate slowly away from the original topic to who knows what...

we bash each other on a regular basis when the opportunity arises.

Oh and please click on the top right icon at the top of the page, select user cp from the menu, and create a signature that looks like ours. List what you're driving now - we know you do not yet have a saturn ---but that's irrelevant for now. You came here to learn, and so you shall.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:59 AM

Got the sig done... will have to lurk over on the off topic stuff and put in my .02. That will either get me a post count or banned LOL

Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Nice quotes -- 'specially the second

Old 10-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Thank you! I'm a card carrying redneck, glad to know I'm appreciated

Off to craigslist to see what new goodies have been posted...

Old 10-21-2014, 12:01 PM

About the differences between the SOHC and DOHC, I had a SOHC and had no trouble locally, but there were times when I did some road trips and got into the mountains out west that I longed for more power. But getting 40+ mpg on a road trip was nice (manual) especially out west where there can be long stretches without any gas stations.

As for oil burning, I think that is more of a function of how well it has been maintained vs. the number of cams. The 00-02 should not be excluded, they are pretty reliable except for the SOHC issue with the intake manifold gasket.

Now to most folks in Tennessee, it is actually divided into four parts. Most people in middle and eastern TN consider west TN goes from the river to around Paris. West of Paris is usually referred to as "Oh that place", even if you live in "the county north of Memphis" (John Grissom, "The Rainmaker")

Old 10-21-2014, 03:33 PM

LMAO at that Keith. You put it rather eloquently!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie ?, probably beating the dead horse...