Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

car running great again

Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Default car running great again

Hi,
My 98 sl2, which was purchased new has recently given me some trouble,
There was significant power loss during acceleration. Highway driveability and mileage appeared to be normal.
I changed the tps, plugs, crank sensor, and both coils. Its curious to note that there were no stored trouble codes.

Incidently, I recently changed the fuel filter only because it was due, and found it rather disturbing that there was noticeable crud that came out of the fuel line(s) while those were disconnected.
therefore:
This past saturday I borrowed a friends F/inj. service tool ( He works for a local dealership) and ran an injector cleaning.

None of this guessing paid off. Out of desperation, I started to switch the ignition wires one at a time with known good ones, and bingo! It was a BAD WIRE !
These are Belden wires, which I have used before without any trouble.
BTW the bad wire was not burned chaffed or otherwise showing any external damage. I didnt suspect them as they are only 1 year old.
I am going to put a ohm meter on the offending lead tommorrow , just for curiosity sake
265k hoping for another 100+

Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by hemiboy46
Hi,
My 98 sl2, which was purchased new has recently given me some trouble,
There was significant power loss during acceleration. Highway driveability and mileage appeared to be normal.
I changed the tps, plugs, crank sensor, and both coils. Its curious to note that there were no stored trouble codes.

Incidently, I recently changed the fuel filter only because it was due, and found it rather disturbing that there was noticeable crud that came out of the fuel line(s) while those were disconnected.
therefore:
This past saturday I borrowed a friends F/inj. service tool ( He works for a local dealership) and ran an injector cleaning.

None of this guessing paid off. Out of desperation, I started to switch the ignition wires one at a time with known good ones, and bingo! It was a BAD WIRE !
These are Belden wires, which I have used before without any trouble.
BTW the bad wire was not burned chaffed or otherwise showing any external damage. I didnt suspect them as they are only 1 year old.
I am going to put a ohm meter on the offending lead tommorrow , just for curiosity sake
265k hoping for another 100+
Please help out a neophyte here..."ignition wires"...are you talking about the plug wires?
Thanks,
Tim
Also, 256K miles....have you changed the timing chain out yet? I'm at 168K and am hearing it should be done....

Old 04-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned

Yes - "ignition wires" and "plug wires" refer to the same thing

Old 04-02-2011, 05:08 PM

Tim,
Im not the authority on timing chain replacement. I spoke to a couple of saturn technicians more than a year ago and they said "dont bother, twin cams go more than 300 thousand"
Logic would indicate that we both are rapidly approaching 300k, and hope to go more.
I guess it is a future replacement we both need to learn about