General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Horn not working a common problem?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Default Horn not working a common problem?

I did a search again in this forum and it seems the horn not working becomes a common problem after a while. Looks like I'll have to do the typical and check the fuse first, then maybe the relay, the connections at the steering wheel (which I would rather not do because of the ABS bag), then the horn itself. I just discovered this recently as I'm finding "little" things about my new find (95 Saturn SL1), hopefully it's just limited to stuff like this and nothing major with suspension, transmission, or motor, etc., but the horn IS an important function...

Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 PM

My 94 horn has not worked for quite a few years now. The plastic covering the air bag is stiff and damaged from the heat and I am sure the lack of flexibility as that is where the touch pads are that actuate the horn are located are damaged beyond use.
In my state there is no safety inspection so I have not dealt with it due to the xpense of dealing with that entire area.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Banned

Outboarding an auxiliary horn button on the dash fixes the above problem (maybe not the best way, but it'll work) ...............

Old 02-12-2011, 02:24 PM

I just troubleshot it with a voltmeter and verified that current makes it all the way to the horn itself, so horn is dead. Where's a good place to order a replacement horn or replacement Saturn parts in general, excluding the dealer? Thanks in advance as always.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Banned

OK -- you verified that the voltage got all the way to the horn ... did you also verify that the horn itself had a good ground to complete the circuit ??

As far as a replacement horn, start with your local GM dealership - pricey, but it will work as advertised. Second option would be the local wrecking yards. A lot cheaper, but the service life of the part might be less than optimum

Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
OK -- you verified that the voltage got all the way to the horn ... did you also verify that the horn itself had a good ground to complete the circuit ??

As far as a replacement horn, start with your local GM dealership - pricey, but it will work as advertised. Second option would be the local wrecking yards. A lot cheaper, but the service life of the part might be less than optimum
How can I verify if the horn had a good ground? The wiring harness to the horn terminates with a plug that only houses two prongs from the horn to plug into.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

put your meter to resistance (ohms) or continuity if it has that setting.

Since you already know the one terminal is carrying the current to the horn, put one test lead on the other terminal (presumed ground) and the second test lead on something that IS ground under the hood (the neg batt term will do nicely if your lead reaches). The resistance should be tiny / meter should see as continuous) This will ensure that the horn's ground wire is indeed tied to a good ground

Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 AM

The touch pads on the steering wheel supply a ground to the horn relay, through the horn fuse. Both located in the block under the hood. The horn relay switch 12 volts d.c. to the horn and supplies power through the dark green wire at the horn. The other wire, the black one is a ground wire to supply the ground to the horn. That wire should go to a ground connection on the metal part of the body which is also connected to the negative side of the battery.
If you have no problems using a meter to help find electrical problems, this information should be enough to fix what ever is happening.
And as my horn does not work and I have not bothered actually figuring out why, maybe I should use it too.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I got lucky, it is a two-wire horn and managed to just unplug it and replace it with an exact match, used off e-bay for $10 nonetheless, and just plugged it back in, now my Saturn is horny again, lol, sorry bad play on words but I couldn't resist. I'm gonna show my son anyways on a couple troubleshooting techniques you advised me of above. Thanks again everyone!