Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Transmission and Radio

Old 10-06-2008, 04:41 PM

Hi I''m a new member so If I''m not doing this right please tell me, Thanks. I have 2 Saturns #1 is a 97 SL. The speedometer doesn''t want to work unless I''m doing 50mph or better. Is this a cable that goes to the trans or is it a sensor on the engine that I should be looking for?

Car #2 is a 96 SC2, I think. It''s a little 2 dr with flip up lights. I just picked it up. The problem with this car is The fog lights don''t work. The switch inside lights up when pushed and I checked the fuses under the hood they are both good. The other problem is the radio. all I get is static. I pulled the radio and checked the antenna. The radio works well as long as it doesn''t touch the mounting frame. As soon as it makes contact with the frame all I get is static. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, xkikbxr

Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned

As far as the fog lights are concerned, it sounds like the fog light relay is fried.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 PM

If that''s the relay in the fuse box under the hood, I checked that. I even put in another relay. It didn''t make a difference. I did trace the radio problem. The antenna coax is a 2 piece unit. It was unplugged from the antenna under the passenger side dashboard, so that''s fixed at least. Thanks for the suggestion though.

xKikbxr

Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Banned

Kikbxr ...

Glad to hear you got your ''tunes'' running again.

With respect to your 97 S-series, the vehicle speed sensor is a two-wire electrical cable. You state that the speedometer doesnt work unless you exceed 50mph. Question here ... if you drive at a constant speed (say 35) does the trip odometer continue to count up the miles, or is it ''frozen'' too ??

Old 10-07-2008, 12:31 PM

Maybe a dumb question, but are you sure the fog light bulbs arent burnt out?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher

Kikbxr ...

Glad to hear you got your ''''tunes'''' running again.

With respect to your 97 S-series, the vehicle speed sensor is a two-wire electrical cable. You state that the speedometer doesnt work unless you exceed 50mph. Question here ... if you drive at a constant speed (say 35) does the trip odometer continue to count up the miles, or is it ''''frozen'''' too ??

OceanArcher, The odometer works fine, it''s just the speedometer. Once you hit around 45mph it''ll start to jump a little but when you hit 50mph or faster it will jump up to speed and stay there until you slow back to under 50mph or stop.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Maybe a dumb question, but are you sure the fog light bulbs arent burnt out?

Low Saturn, I haven''t pulled the bulbs to see if they were burnt out or not. I''m doing that today after work. I just haven''t ever see both bulbs burned out at once, But I did check the switch and the fuses(relay) and all is good so I guess the next logical step is to look at the bulbs and run the wires. This should be a fun little car once it get all the little stuff taken care of. It has 115,000 miles on it. Any thing I should really watch out for on this car. My 97 SL has been a great little car for the past 150,000 miles except for the speedometer.

Kikbxr

Old 10-07-2008, 01:00 PM

You said you just picked it up. They could of burnt out months or years of one another.

I picked up a 1996 SC2 a few month ago myself for $500.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 PM

I''ll check them out and let you know. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Banned

Kikbxr

The signal that drives the odometer is good, so I am making the assumption that the electronics package for speed and odometer is good. That leaves the speedometer gage itself. I suffered a failure in my 94 SL (years ago), but it was under warranty and dealership replaced at no charge. Might check the used parts yards near where you live; you might get lucky.