Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

lots of vibrations during idle

Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Default lots of vibrations during idle

http://youtu.be/_Nc1FtLFFhc

Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

don't click on links I don't know --especially ones that spell youtube with the period in the wrong place

Excessive vibrations are usually caused by failure of the upper torque axis mount
If you replace it be sure to replace the studs too

If you post your video to the real youtube i might actually look at it and not guess in the dark as to what your issue is

Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 AM

Hmm, Derf is on top of things today. Gotta agree with him again. But then again, the description was a bit terse. It could be expanded on a bit, such as what happens off idle?
I would say my SC2 is not the smoothest idling engine I have ever owned even at it's best. But then again, a 4 cylinder engine has a tendancy to be a bit lumpy unless it is totally gutless, but I would probably be complaining about that instead.
I did however find the video by using a back door approach.
It is not the smartest thing in the world to klick on an un-familiar URL. From the video I have no idea what if anything is wrong.

Last edited by uncljohn; 08-04-2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Expanding the answer.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 AM

that link was the 'short url' youtube gave me when i uploaded the video. here is another one, it isn't spam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nc1F...ature=youtu.be

i don't know how to put the actual video on the forum, and there is a description under the video.

have a 2000 Saturn sl2 and when i turn the car on something in front of me vibrated a lot, like the dash..or..maybe something under the hood...? when i put it in reverse it is fine, and the drive it vibrates again, just not as bad.

anyone have a clue what it could be?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

the clear plastic piece on the dash vibrates on both my SC2s but not that loudly.

the other sound it reminds me of is the hood vibrating -- there are height adjustable rubber stops on the front rail which contact the hood when its closed. If they are not touching the hood you get a nasty vibration which varies with idle speed.

or it could be something in the dash

it does sound like it's "right there"

still check out the top mount I mentioned as excessive engine vibes from its failure could unnaturally rattle the crap out of pretty much any of the 3000 plastic pieces which comprise our s cars

Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 AM

A Saturn is full of platic pieces, plastic and heat are not compatible. My Saturn as much as I like it, is parked outside in the heat and it beginning to take it's toll badly. I have not resorted to masking tape to hold the car together and when I do it probably will be replaced but until then, it ratlles like a childs toy at this point in time. And that has become normal.
There are so many bits and pieces broken that certain repairs I know longer address as I am not sure I can get things back together any more.
A 4 cylinder engine shakes a bit, it is normal. It could be that you actually have an engine mount bad. Pretending it is a hot rod and launching it hard breaks things, and 10 years old or so, a previous owner could have done that. I have never broken an engine mount on anything I owned, but I have replaced every dang one of the things on a friends car who had a son who was not smart enough to come in out of the rain.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 PM

My 99 SL was making a horrible vibrating sound from the front of the vehicle and after trying to track it down i realized it was actually the headlight assemblies (yes both of them) that were vibrating against the bumper.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:48 AM

How does it run? It could be a vacuum leak if it's not running the way it should.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:11 PM
Default bad motor mount

lots of vibrations during idle-mount.jpg

This is a bad mount (original design). see where pencil enters rubber at the separation (crack) between the rubber and the casting. I believe this is the original mount, 17 years old with 130,000 miles.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Banned

my 99sl1 just started this. if you hold a little prssure on the head light assy noise stops, but nothing is loose so my plan of action is replace top motor mount.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lots of vibrations during idle