Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Default Headliner

Summer in Florida and the heat and humility have take their toll on my 18 year old headliner. It's drooping down around my ears.

Any of you ever tackle this?

Old 08-23-2014, 05:15 PM

I redid the headliner in my 94 SC and it really wasn't a bad job. Just take loose all of the trim, seatbelts (if they're holding the trim) and overhead light. Once you get the headliner out, just peel off the old fabric and toss it. You CAN NOT reuse it. Then, get a stiff bristle plastic brush and brush all of the old glue off the shell. That is key. Once you get all of the old glue off, pick your material that you're going to use and cut it to size. I cut mine where I had about 1/4" overlap on the edges. Once you are happy with the way the material looks, move it and get your glue ready. I used Loctite Spray Adhesive, personally. Liberally spray the entire shell and then, starting in the middle, put your material on and work it out to the edges. I used a 3" paint roller to smooth mine out and let it dry overnight and then installed it the next day. It looked great and the guy that bought the car really liked it. I used felt, in case you're interested in the material. I hope this helps. It's really a pretty easy job, Bill. Just a little time consuming.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:37 AM

I had that same problem here too, except it was complicated by the Heat here in Arizona damaging all the plastic that is used as interior trim so I had it professionally done as I figured they were more used to dealing with the situation. And I am glad that I did as the plastic caused a lot of problems. The end result was it looked great and damaged plastic was taken care of. I have done head liners before on other makes with out a whole lot of problems, but if you can afford to have it done it is worth it.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Hi Guys, Thanks for sharing your experience. I've considered both, replacing it myself and having it done. Competing upholstery shops were offering $75 headliners recently. Third possibility is to just cut it out and not look up. Only spent $800 to buy the car.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 PM

Hell, I would have paid someone $75 to have done mine. I spent about forty on materials alone.