General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Clicking sound/rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 06:42 PM

Hi,

I own a 94 SL2 that has developed a problem recently, but is in otherwise pristine condition. A few months ago during a routine inspection, my mechanic told me that the timing chain was noisy, probably stretched and needed replaced. There was always a minor ratchety sound during startup, but today itbecame really bad. It sounds as if a large peice of metal has broken off inside the motor and is bouncing around during idle. Also it idlesrough, like it wants to stall, but doesn't. When I have the vehicle up to highway speeds, it is fine. From what I describe, can anyone tell me ifthis new development could be the timing chain, on its last leg maybe? ThanksEdited by: Amwreck1

Old 06-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Administrator

when the timing chain breaks, youll know it...if your car jumped time, it wont go away at highway speeds....i would get it to your mechanic soon...because if its that loud, it may be something making unsafe for highway speeds

Old 09-19-2005, 07:03 PM

I have a 97 SC1 that makes a heck of a racket at idel. Each time it's turned out to be the stationary Idler. I have had to replace that part 4 times in 140K miles and it's starting to go again.And, it's a bitch to replace, you need 4 hands. My car idles rough, always has, but lately seems worse. A Saturn salesman in ElCajon told me all of the 97's idle rough! I wonder if anyone had the sameexperience? Was there bad Harmonic balencers on the 100 HP engines or any of the Saturn Engines?

Old 09-26-2005, 01:03 PM

I wouldn't discount the timing chain theory just yet. There may be excessive wear or breakage on one of the nylon sliders that the chain runs on. This could cause enough play so that the timing chain will rattle and make the car run rough, but not enough for it to have skipped over the gear. Put a timing light on the car and see if your timing is smooth and even, or if it jumps around. You could also try a stethescope on the front of the timing chain cover while it is runing. If it is the chain, good luck!!! It's a bitch to get at while in the car.