Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Power locks not working

Old 06-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Default Power locks not working

Hello folks. I'm spending a little quality time in the garage with the '96 SL2. I'm troubleshooting the power door locks. The fuse appears good, but the fuse box cover diagram shows what I make out to be two relays labeled lock and unlock. The relays are not present. I tried substituting the DRL relay and got no action when tried in either socket.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2014, 07:24 PM

Check the fuse box inside the car, Bill. There might be a blown fuse in there. IDK, just guessing.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:02 AM

There's a 20 amp fuse labeled for locks near the relay sockets in the console fuse panel. Fuse is good.

Considering the car's age, I assume the lock actuators gave up. Those relay sockets make me wonder...

Old 06-29-2014, 02:12 PM

A little more poking around today. Owner manual is handy for some things. It gives the part # for the dome light lamp but no instructions on how to access it! I did find that the dome light, power mirrors and a few other features power through a ten amp fuse on the interior fuse panel. Fuse replaced. Dome light and mirrors now work and the service wrench on the dashboard no longer lights! No luck on the power lock relays or replacement door switch for same. A step forward anyway.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:57 PM

Sorry I can't help you out with that, but I don't have a Saturn anymore. I think you're probably on the right track with the actuators.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:24 PM

I appreciate your input and I'm sure your past experience will be of help.

I'm good at hare brained theory. I've noticed the lock switch on the driver door "seems" broken. Haven't tested it yet...

I see that Dorman offers a replacement part for the driver door switch, which implies that oem switches break with regularity. So...

Hare brained theory: Door switch breaks causing erratic operation of locks. Tech pulls relays from fuse panel making locks manual only. Bill goes looking for relays and switch, Dorman and salvage yard make money. Or... Bill just continues operating locks manually and leaves dead presidents in his wallet for something else.