Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

How To: change the starter in your S-series Saturn

Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 PM

With air tools and ramps I changed one on a 2001 in about 30 minutes.
Not a hard job. A bit pricing though. $135.00 with a 3 year warrantee, from NAPA.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Sanding down the terminal ends is good for getting the corrosion off id just like to add that you could also spray them down with battery terminal protectant spray to help prevent the corrosion from coming back.

Last edited by A_Ninja_Racer; 09-18-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 PM

New member here. For those who had a hard time getting that pesky top bolt in here is a few tricks. Secure the smaller solenoid wire since you won't be able to get to it later. Loosely secure the large lug wire on the solenoid to keep the starter from falling on your forehead. Place a small piece of masking tape on a long socket to hold the upper bolt in the socket and use a long extension. Then slip the bolt into the starter upper hole and place the starter in position. You will be able to start the bolt in without trying to find that pesky hole in the blind. Hand tighten it by turning the extension. Then start the bottom bolt and get it going a few turns. Now you can snug the upper bolt with your ratchet finishing with the bottom bolt. Should save you a LOT of time and grief. Good luck. P.S. Don't forget to finish tightening the wire lugs onto the solenoid terminals.

Last edited by alohajim; 03-07-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-20-2016, 10:05 PM

I want to add something to this. Noticing the corroded terminals I found this really good product called conductive grease. You can get it on Amazon. It is made by the same company that make the cosmoline that military equipment is coated with to keep it corrosion free. What you do is rub a little of this grease on all the connections and surfaces after you sand all the corrosion off to clean metal. coat it thinly with conductive grease and assemble. never have corrosion again. It is great for ligh bulb sockets on cars so they won't rust into the socket etc. any place you have two different metals touching for electrical connection will create a battery with the presence of any moisture and the metals corrode. putting this grease in the joint shorts out the electrolysis and the metal stays brand new and perfectly conducts electricity through the connection. I use it on all automotive connections to keep them fresh and new so you never have to replace them. I am guessing on sensitive electronic sensors you might be real careful on how you apply it so it does not create a short between two connectors. Make sure you only have it on the little prongs.
You can get it here.
Amazon.com: 2 ounce Tub Cb Ham Radio NO OX ID A-Special Conductive Grease ALL Antenna Metal: Electronics Amazon.com: 2 ounce Tub Cb Ham Radio NO OX ID A-Special Conductive Grease ALL Antenna Metal: Electronics
Electrical Contact Lubricant - Conductive Electrical Grease | Sanchem, Inc.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:43 AM
Default You are the man, man.

Without you, I would have been s***out of luck. Taking your time to create this guide is quite admirable & I can now get to work today because of it! You've made a difference, my friend. Thank you for what you do 🙏🤜🤘

Old 10-27-2023, 07:59 AM

Isn't it amazing that a guide over 14 years old is still helping people? I love it!!

Old 10-27-2023, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Isn't it amazing that a guide over 14 years old is still helping people? I love it!!
Yes, absolutely!
Very thankful I was able to find this well written guide

Old 10-28-2023, 08:18 AM

Stick around the forum, man. There's not a lot of help out there for Saturns anymore.