Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here...

Exhaust

Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Smile Exhaust

So in the process of getting a new exhaust, I bought a tip from a friend of mine. I put it on with an adapter I bought from AutoZone. Bad part, I had to fabricate the adapter to fit because they don't make an adapter, 1-3/4" to 2-1/2". But I got it to work and it looks great, now time to get a header back exhaust from ebay. I will post pictures later after the snow melts.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 AM

Isn't it amazing of the number of parts you can accumulate over the years that meet the description of "they don't" fit. So you put the on a shelf and forget about them, knowing that some day they might.
And 20 years later you shelves of forgotten parts that
Still Don't Fit.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 AM

I have a few parts sitting in my garage that won't fit my SC1 because they are for a different year, and some that I was going to fabricate to fit, but never got around to doing it.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 AM

same here, i have some parts from the 98 wagon i picked up that sit around since my car has the third gen engine. Luckily interior parts are interchangeable.

So how exactly does this tip work, did you cut the turn-down off the muffler or just fabricate around it. or put a whole nother muffler on it.
sometime this or next week im taking the cheap turbo muffler off and putting a flowmaster super 40 on my car

Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Banned

I'm sorry for this post - but I can't help it ... I see all these small cars drive by with a piece of 6" pipe welded to the back of their muffler, and hear all the "sound litter" coming out, I just gotta shake my head and wonder at the wisdom (?) of it

Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 PM

Yes, I see plenty of that where I live. I keep mine reasonable with 2" in - 3" out. It makes moderate noise, but the turbo muffler is starting to sound like crap so im swapping in the flowmaster. Most of them are hondas and ive even seen a few toyotas with that. I also see alot of cars with loud exhaust just from it rotting out. They use an insane amount of salt in this part of jersey and I guess alot of people dont take care of thier cars.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 AM

Well I put a whole muffler on, but i had to take a hack saw to get the old muffler off because the exhaust clamp was so badly rusted. Its a 4" out, but it suits the car (in my opinion), and it sounds better that a lot of hondas here in VA. Like my friend has a little civic with a 4-1/2" and it sounds like the typical honda, compared to his and a lot of the other hondas around here it sounds clean. Mine isn't gonna be there forever, its only there until I get a new cat-back exhaust, and obviously new headers and such, from OBX.

I have a question for anyone to answer. Would SC2 headers and exhaust fit on an SC1 or is it slightly different?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 AM

I look at that form of cosmetic upgrade to some ones car as "What Goes Around, Comes Around". Exhaust modifications are one of the most obvious to both the doer and the one that goes "look what they've done!" group and to some extent, some of the most expensive and least effective. But if I wind back some 60 years to the Land of the Flathead Ford V8 and the Wayne headed Chevrolete the EXACT same modification was done. Only then they were called ECHO CANS.
http://www.reds-headers.com/html/headers.html
vs pencil tips.
It's harmless, it's cosmetic and functionally? It's also pointless. And as you can see from this ad, the same claims are being made today, carefully worded to appeal to the potential purchasers desire to remove money from their wallet.
I have a pair of 2011 Factory Stock mufflers removed from a Mustang Cobra in the garage, along with all the other bits and pieces removed (the car has 4500 miles on it) to upgrade the thing to '"SUPERSTANG" status including the p215 r35 19 tires and wheels which (replaced by 20 inch wheels) a factory excersize that cost $45,000 to have done and I can not make them work on the Hornet I am building as the size of them requires the Gasoline tank to be relocated in front of the rear axle rather than behind it. The exhaust tips are big enough to drop a soft ball down.
I don't remember Detroit responding to Echo Cans that way 60 years ago but I guess maybe they did, dual exhaust and 4bbl carburetors became available more often and more frequently as did an increase in decorative exhaust extensions. But you have to be as old as I am to remember those things.
But
I think the trend of adding a trailer hitch to the back so you can hang a pair of NUTS it them is about as silly as a fox tail tied to the radio antenna, installed not for the radio, they did not have them too many times, but for the purpose of hanging a fox tail from it.
And the wheels? Those I can get to work on my 1976 Hornet Sportabout. They will look tough as nails when I get everything said and done.

Last edited by uncljohn; 02-23-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 AM

Well I agree on the exhaust thing, it is mainly for cosmetics. The trailer hitch thing is pointless, I agree with you on that. Also on thing a lot of hondas and such are doing is putting a tow hook on the front and the back of the car, like what is that going to help? honestly... Its there for cosmetics. These days (I know I haven't been around seeing as I am almost 19, but I've seen my fair share of cars ranging from the 50's all the way up to now) people are mainly going for cosmetics, like stretched tires, hella flush, dump status, etc. All that is going to do is make you go through tires like crazy and one little screw up and you screw your fenders/quarter panels over.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Banned

Well, I'll not throw stones at a trailer hitch on a small car (my '94 SW2 is so equipped). Granted, proper set-up is a must, because attaching to the "hard points" is not the easiest thing with a Sautrn. Properly done, you can safely move a small trailer with a moderate load - just don't let desire overload your capabilities ... and no, there are no brass nuts or cowbell hanging off the hitch.