Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Key stuck in iginition and won't turn

Old 08-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Default "Locked" Key

Sometimes I have a similar problem where the key won't turn to lock so I can remove it. Found the problem is transmission related, if I "joggle" the shift lever when it is in Park I can hear it click and then the key will turn to the lock position.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Smile new to the forum...

Originally Posted by geeve420
I have a 97 sl2 and the key is stuck in the ignition and I can't turn it at all. I have taken the colum apart and tried to pop the cylinder, but I can't get it into ACC to pop it. I have tried making sure it was park, I have tried turning the wheel and key. I am at a total loss . any help would be greatly appritiated

Geeve
Every year there is always one major thing to repair - I also had that key problem couple years back - have a 1993 SL2, I love it, where are all the Saturn lovers - back when I bought this everyone waved to each other, love what the badge stood for...

Had the cylinder totally changed out. Was the only way to deal with it. Got a new key too. There are a few days where it feels again like it is locking up, but knock on wood - it's fine..

Old 08-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Default 2003 ion key cannot be removed from ignition

i have a 2003 ion and have the same prob. most of the time it will come out but some times i have to "play" with the shut off sequence i.e. park, brake, steering wheel, etc. actions. i haven't found the secret sequence to get the key to turn "off" yet. i haven't tried it yet, but the owners manual talks about an "electronic park actuator" that may not actuate keeping your key in the ignition. if the key will not come out, they say remove a small plastic cover: here are the steps.

1. Make sure your vehicle is in "P" Park.
2. Using a flat-tipped tool or another key, carefully pry off the cover from the bottom of the steering column.
3. Place index finger through the access hole and locate the end of the electronic park lock actuator plunger.
4. Press and hold the plunger toward the driver's side door while rotating the ignition key to the "OFF/LOCK" position. Remove key.
5. Have your vehicle serviced at your Saturn retailer as soon as possible.

since the actuator works most of the time, i don't think changing the ignition lock assy will help anything. the source of the problem is most likely where the actuator gets its signal from to actuate. could be the "Park" position, since this feature is for automatic transmissions only, or, maybe the shifter is to be moved to "Park" only after certain other shutdown procedures are done, i.e. parking brake on, seatbelt on/off, who knows.

please, if someone can track down the proper sequence or source that makes this actuator work, it would make a lot of people happy. the reason i say that, is because a dealer will only do the easy thing and change the ignition switch for big bucks and the #$%^ thing will still be broken.

thanks

Old 08-22-2021, 02:32 PM

Had the same problem dont know. I spayed some WD40 hahahaahahh my mom suggested it gave it some time and it worked!

Old 08-22-2021, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for your response to this 12 year old hahahaha post.

WD-40 is not a lubricant it's a moisture repellant.

Thread hahahaha closed