Air Conditioning Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:50 AM

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue, 6-cylinder automatic. When new, my air conditioner worked fine. A year ago, while driving through Nevada, I heard a rumble and it seemed to have lost its efficiency.Before this I only needed to set it to1 or2 on the controls to cool the vehicle, today even at 4 it does not really cool the cabin. The air feels cool (not cold), but it does not circulate, especially to the rear seats.At the 4 setting some force is felt from the center vents, nothing really from the side vents. It is more noisy than effective. At settings 1 & 2 no air is really coming out, at 3 there issome air. I have had the freon refilled and have had itchecked by three mechanics so far (including the dealer), all say that it is operating within manufacturer''s specifications. So far this air conditioner is not cutting it, if it is in within specifications what can I do to make itcooler, but there has to be something definitely wrong with my air conditioner. Insightful suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Banned

To KNClark67 -

Just a couple of stabs in the dark here, but here goes ...The repairman (from what I have seen) normally sets all the controls to maximum when testing/charging the air conditioning, so he may not realize you are suffering from decreased airflow within the cabin. First place I would look, is to make sure the blower fan is operating properly. A bad bearing would make it more noisy also.

When operating the A/C on recirculate, there is a door that shifts within the air ducts that blocks outside air from entering, and reroutes the interior air back through the A/C coils again and again.

It is also possible that the resistor pack that allows you to change speeds on the fan had failed. Doesn''t happen often, but since you have had it in for repair more than once, it is a possibility. Good luck with your repairs...

Old 09-14-2008, 06:13 PM

Thank Ocean Archer for your response.

I neglected to mention that at the dealer, they changed the control switches for the air conditioning. I appreciate the leads you have provided. I would also appreciate leads on a good air conditioner repair guy in the Southern California area (LA/OC/Ventura).

Sincerely,

KNCLARK67

Old 09-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

To KNClark67 -

Sorry - but cannot help you with a reputible A/C repairman in the area you mention (haven''t been out there since 1971).

Need to think seriously about the blower motor itself (bad bearing, motor dragging), or maybe the motor thatcontrols the recirculation flap.As I remember, the resistor pack for the various speeds are part of the switch, so they should be OK.

Only other possibility, is a plugged cooling coil in the air duct itself. That might help explain the reduced airflow too. Hope you get it figured out ...