Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

odd problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Default odd problem

Hello all. I have a 2002 l200. The problem is this, the fuel gauge goes to full tank no mater what level of fuel is in the tank. It was also moving around and not giving a proper reading. When the gauge was at a full tank the security light would either stay on solid or blink. And the bell would go off. I had taken the car in and had the fuel level sending unit as well as the fuel pump replaced today and that fixed the fuel gauge bouncing. And after we got it back all was well. I went to put gas in it a few hours later because it was almost empty and the fuel gauge went to full tank the bell was dinging and the security light was on solid. I disabled the security system but the problem still remains. I had started another thread a few months ago when it was intermittent but now its getting really annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:42 PM

With out looking at the wiring diagrams to try to understand what false signals might be present to tell those systems what is going on, there very well might be two problems.
So my request at this point in time is to ask if the fuel gauge is actually working
correctly. Which I guess will require driving this thing long enougn to use some gasoline. If it is working correctly and the other problem is still there there then there was two problems and one of them is corrected.
The second problem may be related to how much fuel is in the fuel tank. That is the tank has a certain amount of weight which increases when it is full. You said that the problem did not occur untill the tank was filled. Will the if the guage is working correctly AND the dinging thing goes away as tank is emptyed it is logical that the weight of the tank might be pressing on a wiring harness and as the tank emptys it stops pressing. Where it is pressing, there might be some damaged wires.
WhadaUthink?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 PM

At any stage of the fuel level in the tank the problem can arise. It seems to happen more frequently then when the tank is full as compaired to when the tank is half to empty. My fiancé is the one that drives the car the most so I'm not sure how much more frequent it is. Could it possibly be related to the security system or the bcm? I am really hoping its not a chafed or damaged wire. That would be a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Last edited by whitelee28; 01-17-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 AM

Could it possibly be related to the security system or the bcm? I am really hoping its not a chafed or damaged wire. That would be a nightmare to troubleshoot.
=======================
Well yuh! That it could. And yes it is going to be in either case. I still guess it is important to find out if the gasoline gauge is now working correctly, thus eleminating one symptom or source of a problem.
And if the Security System is aftermarket thus added to the car rather than OEM and came from the factory I would be more inclined to think the security system is the problem. Many of those that I have seen added after the fact by supposed experts? Have been installed quite micky mouse.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Banned

I can imagine that your bride-to-be is not happy with that persistent 'dinging' in her ear when she drives. I own an '02 L200 myself, and will be watching this thread very closely

Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 AM

Could very well be a BCM problem. Yet you have no idea if the sending unit in the tank is bad. May be time to go to your nearest Chevy dealer that is servicing SATURN's to have a TECH II run on it.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Hello all sorry for the late response. I have taken the car to a friend of a friends shop and I explaned the symptoms. The tech tested the gague cluster and it all tested good. The tech said that he is 99.9 percent sure its the BCM. So once the tech can determin if he can program the BCM i will get that changed. Ill keep you guys posted.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 AM

Whats the word bro?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:51 AM

I found out that my buddy’s friends shop can’t program the BCM. I did some checking around and a place called university automotive here is Sacramento that will do the BCM change for 525 out the door. I’ll get back to you guys when i get it changed.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:59 AM

One has to have a Saturn updated TECH II to do the job.

Quick Reply: odd problem