General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Heat issue

Old 12-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Default Heat issue

If anyone can offer me some help I would appreciate it.
My car has intermittent heat. The car is always running at a proper temp but one time it will be hot from the defrost and the next time it will be cold. I don't think it is the water pump because it is not overheating. I am guessing it is either an air lock or a thermostat. It is not leaking or using any antifreeze.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 PM

First make sure the bottle is full, then make sure that cap is good. You may just want to replace it.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Banned

OK - let's look at this thing in a logical (?) manner .....

Your statement --> "The car is always running at a proper temp but one time it will be hot from the defrost and the next time it will be cold." <--

I would not worry about the thermostat, because the car is at the proper temperature ... nor would I concern myself with the water pump, because if it was not working properly, then your engine temperature would suffer.

Your statement --> "It (the car) is not leaking or using any antifreeze." <--

This is a good thing, because our engines have been known to warp the heads if the engine gets really really hot due to coolant loss.

The heater/defroster core radiator in your system is connected to the engine by two hoses that attach directly to the engine. Water flows through these hoses depending on the setting of the temperature control on your console. This water flow is not controlled or altered by the thermostat. An air lock is possible, but I am leaning more towards the possibility that the temperature control on the console is slipping/not working properly. A lot of the connections on this control are plastic, and could be broken .....

Old 12-17-2010, 03:45 PM

Issue is solved. My thermostat was stuck wide open. If I squeezed the lower hose it would give some heat.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

If the thermostat was stuck wide open, then the engine would not come up to normal operating temp ... it would read low, but that is not what you mentioned in your original posting ......

In any event, I'm glad you got your problem fixed ...

Old 12-19-2010, 02:15 PM

Ok then it's fixed, good deal.