Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here...

sirius radio .....2007 Ion

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Banned
Default sirius radio .....2007 Ion

All,
Got a 2007 Saturn Ion that I bought in late 2006.

Did not get the xm radio package and am looking at the best way to use the stock radio and add xm to it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-20-2014, 10:57 PM

Go to xm and see what they offer.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Wild guess but I think you'll have to buy one of those small garmin sized xm receivers and plug it in through the aux jack

Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 AM
Banned
Default XM Radio....

All,
There is an option in the Radio Console for XM/Satellite. You go to it and absolutely nothing happens (no sound/anything). I already have a portable XM radio (pocket size-not the mountable but a true portable for jogging etc) and its reception is mediocre. I used that unit with the optional car antenna kit and it was still mediocre. When the portable unit was new there was at least the XM notification/advertising channel.

So I am thinking as my radio is already equipped with XM that it may be something that plugs in the back of the console...curious if anybody has ever removed there XM Radio (For Service etc.) For what its worth, the unit in my car was replaced under warranty due to a failure in the system....so maybe mine is different than most?

I do have the little black antenna (roof) in the back of the car...which another post says is an indicator of XM Radio capability.

I did a little more searching and I see there are receiver boxes (under the dash) for equipped vehicles.... Anyone have experiences with those?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by SolomonMan; 07-21-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 AM

I'm pretty sure derf is on the right track. I had an Equinox that had the capability, but it didn't have the module and the dealership wanted some outrageous price for it. I won't repeat what I told them, but needless to say, it didn't happen.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Banned
Default XM Radio...

All,
Took a Look on eBay and one of the used yard auction sites and have found many the module for 20-35 used (OEM) or 40 (not OEM but new - one refurb for 20). Going to study the differences but sounds like its a connect and then get service.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-21-2014, 03:21 PM

The black antenna is for OnStar, and as I remember the XM antenna is tucked into that. So just having the antenna does not mean you have XM.

As far as I remember for 2007 if your radio is XM ready nothing needs to be added to that. My 2007 radio is NOT XM ready so when I hit the MODE button XM does not appear. How you find it or how you set it up I do not remember but you need the XM id code from the radio. How to find the way to get the code has to be on interweb some bloody place.

What is the radio console?

Last edited by RjION; 07-21-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 AM
Banned

All,
Radio console is the head unit.

Similar to the below auction;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-Saturn...2bc97e&vxp=mtr

From my understanding, there is no Mode button there is a Menu and CAT buttons. According to the manual, please correct me if I am wrong, there is a CAT button for selecting the XM Radio which you then scroll through the XM channels.

The SAT box connects to the head unit and is on the passenger side under the dash. From past experiences, I believe there is some RCA connectors under the dash from the head unit which will allow the adding the XM SAT box to the head unit.

The XM Service is then ordered by taking the serial number from the SAT box and calling it in to Sirius and order the subscription.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-01-2014, 01:05 PM

"Band", Mode, Cat, Menu .... what's the difference you need to get the radio ID code what ever the name of the button is. No I don't have XM and no I'm not going to look up the "name" of the button you need to use. Ok just because I'm such a nice guy. Go to a place called YouTube. It has a search engine. Try typing in 2007 GM XM radio's. I bet you'll find a lot of information there. It will be in video form, you'll not need to read a thing.

So do you think your car is XM ready? Any way if you push the correct button and XM is not a choice, I'll bet your car is not XM ready. Oh another thing I'll bet on. I bet GM uses the same equipment in many cars. So going to a junk yard and coming across say a Pontiac G6, or a Sierra that has the same radio, it might have item's connected to it that will fit your car. Next, you may need an antenna. I'm not really sure as I never did any research on this any part of this subject.

I am a nice guy, correct me if I'm wrong.

Stop in the new member forum and introduce yourself. When done open the USER CP to add your first name, state, and car to "your signature".

Remember

Last edited by sw2cam; 08-18-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:19 AM

To make life easy buy one of the kits you see on-line. I think factory stuff all has the anti-theft crap going on with it, or has to be vin matched to the pcm/bcm or what ever. At any rate it's a load of bs. My Son has put XM in both his Speed3 and his Redline VUE via a kit he bought. Said it would have taken an act of congress to put the factory parts into either one of the cars. Now if my son can do it anyone can. He has no patience what's so ever, and he can hardly change his own oil. Maybe he's just lazy and doesn't mind paying others to do simple things. What ever the story is .... his XM sounds as good as the XM in that came in our Kisashi, Solstice, Forte sedan, and Forte5 hatchback.

Sorry I just got back to this thread.....I saw it and remembered what my Son had done.

Quick Reply: sirius radio .....2007 Ion