Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

SW2 Wiper control module failed.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Default SW2 Wiper control module failed.

I lost my front windshield wipers over the weekend (everything except high). I had the feeling that it was the control module, but the special order motor assembly didn't come with a control module. Reviewing my SW2 is a 2001 model that has the second design wiper motor system where the motor and control module are separate.

Has anyone had any luck purchasing a wiper motor and control for a 2000 S series (old design) and installing it?

Old 07-20-2014, 01:09 AM

My efforts to locate a wiper control module for this second design wiper system has failed. I was about to run down to the junk yard and pull a part that might not work. I decided to continue with the idea to make the 1st design wiper system work. The local auto parts store I asked for a 2000 SW2 wiper motor assembly that came with control module attached. So this is what I learned:

The original motor points toward the passenger side, and rotates counter clockwise. The motor I installed points in the opposite direction and rotates clockwise, but still can be used. To get the motor to fit on the drivers side of the wiper transmission I put a slight dent into the firewall and tried not to break the welded seam. To correct the different rotation I put the wiper transmission arm 90 degrees clockwise from the OEM setting. I did it the original way and found that the wipers went down before going up. Now everything works again including the sprayers.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:38 AM

Be advised that GM is still carrying parts for the Saturn surprisingly enough for the S series and they are now 25 years old. Or at least last year looking for a window motor mechanism they were . How many and for how long is an open un-answered question and finding a dealer with a parts book may be a problem.
And some parts are actually available aftermarket too. but the local Chevy Dealer on West Bell Road some where around 93rd Ave in Phoenix advertises that that they deal with Saturns and I have used them. And thanks for the information.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Banned

the Toyota store I work for also has a GM franchise (different location), they have the Saturn parts catalog as part of GM, unlike how things were when Saturn was still around, so any GM dealer should be able to look up Saturn parts....

Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 AM

Your imagination is often your limitation. Glad to see you were ingenious enough to improvise.