Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Goose will not shift!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 04:29 AM

If it is o.k., I would like to re-define the problem.
The symptom has been stated that the gear shift lever can be moved to any gear when the engine is shut off.
But if you turn the engine on and it is running, you are unable to move the gear shift lever.

It has also been stated that if the gear shift lever is in any gear at all and the engine is started, the car will automatically begin to move forward.

Is this correct?

Also if I read things correctly it has been stated that the clutch is o.k.
And it has been some discussion about hydraulics.

But no where has it been said this.

IF THE ENGINE IS OFF AND THE GEAR SHIFT LEVER IS ANY FORWARD GEAR
AND
THE CLUTCH PEDAL IS PRESSED DOWN
THAT THE ENGINE WILL START
AND THE CAR WILL NOT MOVE.

If the problem is stated that pushing the clutch pedal down does nothing at all, then the problem is with the operation of the clutch.

And if that is true, it should also be self evident that you would be unable to shift the gears when the engine is running. That said, there is nothing wrong with the gears.
The problem is with the clutch pedal.

The car has what is called a hydraulic clutch.
There is a reservoir under the hood for hydraulic fluid for the clutch.
Has at any time, any one looked to see if there is any fluid in the reservoir?

If there is not any fluid than the problem for the moment has been found. The reservoir is empty and the clutch will not work.

At face value that is a problem in that it is empty and it takes a lot to make it that way.
But filling the reservoir is a start to solving the problem.
If it is empty because there is a leak some where, look for it dripping and find out why.

Last edited by uncljohn; 06-09-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:59 PM

I have replaced the shifter cables, and just now replaced the Master/Slave Cylinder assembly. I am able to change gears while the engine is turned on.

Just a recap:

I dropped my car off at the local garage, and they gave me a quick glance inspection. The shifter cables were snapped, but they never told me the entire problem, which was the assembly was bad, and that in turn destroyed my shift cables.

Bottom line - I am now able to drive my car, and it shifts fine. Thanks for all your help, everyone!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:35 AM

So, the master/slave kit fixed the issue?

Old 06-11-2014, 05:48 PM

What assembly are you referring to? I'm confused as to whether it was the clutch master/slave assembly or the cable assembly.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:27 AM

I'm not confused Ruby. It is sad to say but the OP had no clue that when he pressed the clutch pedal, nothing was happening. But it seems that by purchasing a rebuild kit or a replacement part and re-filling the reservoir, it worked.
There is no way to bleed the clutch, and the reservoir was probably empty and very well may have gotten that way by the line being dislodged when changing the cables, but maybe not. My guess was that is what was wrong in the first place. but? Only the "Shadow" knows.
The cables for the shifter probably broke or were damaged by trying to jam the shift lever into moving when the clutch had failed.
If I am wrong, then I am wrong.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 AM

Your explanations works as well as any other, Unc. I doubt that the Goose will return to let us know for sure. Perhaps the Gander has his attention now! LOL

Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM

The Master slave assembly. FYI.

Oh, and I did return to "let you know". Nice vote of confidence, there.

As I mentioned in my "Introduction" I am a very obvious amateur mechanically, so, there is no need to be douchebags. Good day, gents.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 PM

No need for name calling. That's a good way to get banned. It's been my experience that too many people come to a forum looking for answers only to never return and let us know if the suggestions helped cure the problem. I don't mean any offense by it, but you can take it as you will. I won't hurt my feelings one way or another.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:36 PM

I appreciate the feedback, thanks for letting us know what the final repair was.