Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

94 SL2 Speedometer problems

Old 12-11-2006, 12:52 PM

I have a 94 SL2 runs great ,but it has an intermitent speedometer problem . "It usually does not work" ,however some times it will work for a short time . Our local mechanic replaced 3 speedo clusters but with no success, he felt it was in the wiring but did not have the information(Saturn books)or time to solve the problem.I contacted our local Saturn Dealer who charges $95.00 per hour He said that it could take his mechanic several days or even a week to figure it out ( lots of $$$ for a 94) !!! He also suggested we think about something else ??? I hope someone can help because it is a great little car (my son's first ) it would be ashame to just give up because the Dealer is too expensive . Kind Regards Gordon Bowden

Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Does the odometer and trip odometer work when the speedo needle itself stops working ? Or is it all or nothing.

There are electronics built into the speedo that convert the signal from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to something the speedo circuit can understand.

Do you have and SES light on (Service Engine Soon)? If VSS itself is flaking out, usually sets a code and illuminates the SES.

Also....do you have any issues with the Passive Restraint system? The VSS signal goes through the PRCM(passive restraint control module)on its way to the speedo. Bad or flaky PRCM often distorts the signal passed to the speedo such that it cannot be understood. Ever spill anything on the center console (like soda?) PCRM is underneath.

Other obvious possibility is an intermittent power connection to the dash cluster - but I would expect other parts of the dash cluster to act up as well.

Derf

Old 12-12-2006, 02:33 PM

Thanks Derf In answer to your questions (1) The odometer does not work ! (2) did not see any (service engine soon light ) although it also may not be working ! (3) yes we do have issues with the Passive Restraint System ,it does not work so we just connect the seat belts by hand then remove to exit . It is very possible for something to have spilled on the console . (4) power does not seem to be an issue the rest of the cluster seems ok . I would think I need to consider replacing the PRCM do you agree??

Thanks for the great feedback Gordon

Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quite likely the PRCM is the culprit....but it is not a cheap fix by any means.

See the following post for more info (I tried to help diag this for someone else.)

https://www.saturnforum.com/forum_po...=996&KW=PR CM

Never found out from the other poster if this was indeed the issue (don't think she ever had it replaced.)

Keep us posted

Derf

Edited by: derf

Old 12-13-2006, 10:17 AM

Derf Thanks again for your your time and help ,I am heading up to the shop now to share all this information with our mechanic, who is also grateful for the info. I will keep you all posted as we go and hope to have a speedo finally working !!Regards Gordon (getting closer)

Old 12-19-2006, 03:28 PM

Just got it back from the Shop (our local GMC Dealer) but without the speedo fixed . We took the mechanic all the posted info that was provided here ,but He was unable resolve anything. It looks like I need to find someone in my area. We have a choice of a dealer in Columbia SC or try a Dealer in Charlotte NC Does anyone have any recommendations ,we don't mind paying a fair price we just can't let someone charge $95 per hour and think it "may take several days or a week" It is now getting my curiosity going ,i wish I had the equipmentto solve it myself. I would welcome any suggestions .

Regards Gordon Bowden

Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 PM

Great News !!!&nb sp; We now have a working speedo !! Derf ,thanks so much for your advice ,you were correct ,the problem was the PRCM. We found a Saturn Dealer in Florence SC who knew what could cause the problem ,they worked on it as we waitedthey did not have a new one in stock ,but helped us by taking one from a car they had . They installed it ,tested it, and even washed our car all for less than the price of anew unit !!!! This dealer will be on the top of our list and we would recommend them to any Saturn owner.

Kind regards Gordon Bowden

Old 12-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Always happy to be of assistance!