Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

97 SL2 Fuel issues (filter?)

Old 12-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Default 97 SL2 Fuel issues (filter?)

So here is my issue...

1997 Saturn sl2 wouldn't start, it would turn and turn and then flood (figured no spark) so I changed plugs and wires the next day and the plugs were definitely fuel fouled (reeked to high heaven like gasoline)

After the new plugs and wires were put in it fired right up but ran a touch rough... it would stall when I would hit the gas under initial acceleration, so I picked up new ignition coils and put them in too. No change.

Now for any of you guys sporting this special car, you know when you hit the gas there is that threshold where the pedal gets sort of hard then it loosens up and the car goes...well this is where it is trying to stall, right as I hit that spot in the pedal. It will almost stall leaving a redlight but it will hesitate badly when the pedal hits that spot no matter what speed I am moving.

Ok so here is where I sit now, I have replaced my fuel fouled plugs, new wires, new coils, new TSP (throttle position sensor) and I just picked up a fuel filter...this thing won't throw a code at me so I am fumbling around in the dark trying to figure out what the problem is.

As far as the filter goes, I can see it sitting there staring at me from under the brake resevoir on the frame rail...now is there a trick to replacing this thing? It is definitely a bit different than any other fuel filter I have ever seen.

How's that for a first post?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

replace ects and connector (dealer only part). It is likely causing pcm to overrichen air fuel mix b/c sensor has failed and is telling the PCM that coolant temp is -40 all the time. Hesitation also related to as mentioned goofed up air fuel mix. Usually will not throw a code.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:31 AM

DO NOT buy ects from CheckerAdvanceNapaZone