Collector's Vehicle?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 AM

We are driving the "H" out of it. It's a fun driver not sitting in the garage waiting for a value increase.
=============================
When they arrived and looking at them I realised for me a neat car and a desirable one and at the time not only out of my budget but as I am involved with an automotive hobby around cars that went out of production as a company in 1988, no place to park one. I passed, not realising Saturn was on it's way out.
I know people who put there lives into preserving a piece of automtive history and active in championing reproduction parts, national interest and advetising interest, successfully. While the activity was not for the reason of but they were hoping theier retirement would be financed on the increased value of unique high performance cars manufactured at the time. A wait that turned out to be in vane.
Yes today some of those cars have value, 40 to 60 years later, and reproduction parts are available for the most desirable models, some anyway, the rest depends on a donar car of some time and expensive cosmetic restoration. And if you are lucky you might get $45,000 for one of the most desirable models, the cost of storage over 50 years of owning it while prices of paint jobs for example went from any color you want for $29.95 at Earl Shibes to a minimum of 6 grand for a workable show quality starter paint job.
If you got the money, store'm, if you got the talent restore them. If you got the car enjoy it.
But don't expect the increased value to pay for'm. It ain't gonna happen.
The basic rule in collector cars is if they were popular when new, they are popular now.
Saturns wern't, and arn't and I sure like mine.
An automotive example of too bad!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:57 PM

The SKY and Solstice where extremely popular and will bring all the money down the road. It's just the road needs to be traveled a bit more.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 AM

Sales figures of the Saturn Sky over 4 years totaled about 34,000 or so. In 2007 the sales of the Hyundai Sonata was 143,000 or so all by itself.
History has repeated itself in collector car value over and over, a popular car when new remains popular and worth money. My interpretation of popular and yours must be totally different. I like the Sky, I am not crazy about a Hyundai, but my money is on the Hyundai for being worth more as a collector car.
Heck in 1958 you could not give a 1958 Chevy away. 50 years later they are worth something now to some extent but a 57 or 59 Chevy is worth a whole bunch more and has been.
Try pricing a 1957 Studebaker, you'd be lucky to cover the cost of a show quality paint job.
if you have a sky drive the hell out of it and enjoy it. If you were to put it in storage for the next 50 years, the price of the car probably would not cover storage fees.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:48 AM

I believe the SKY & Solstice will become highly prized rides in the future buy it's not worth the aurgument seeing we'll not be around to witness it. Thats why I'd drive the hell out of it. The next question is, did you send me a jpg you want for an AVATAR?

Last edited by sw2cam; 09-17-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM

To be honest, I think the Kappa Cars will do well in the collectors market down the road.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

my sc2's hold the same $500-$1000 value every day

Old 06-15-2012, 09:49 AM

I think you have it covered derf ...................

Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM

We have been looking at used SKY's and the prices are not cheap by no means. The only "nice" one we saw that had over 60K was priced at $22k. Yes we found some cheaper with 60k plus but they needed new roofs, wheels, and other things were messed up including dents, paint chips or very badly worn seats. I'm going to say they hold value and will have a high demand from collectors before to long.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by eneloop
We have been looking at used SKY's and the prices are not cheap by no means. The only "nice" one we saw that had over 60K was priced at $22k. Yes we found some cheaper with 60k plus but they needed new roofs, wheels, and other things were messed up including dents, paint chips or very badly worn seats. I'm going to say they hold value and will have a high demand from collectors before to long.
John that makes two of us. I'd like to get a turbo SKY or Solstice and a nice one is damn near new retail price.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 PM

I have my KAPPA. Bought Rj's 2006 Pontiac Solstice. The car is super clean with a manual transmission. Got a great price and he gave me the time to come up with the money.

Thanks Rj I really appreciate everything. Now you're saying you may buy a 5dr this fall. I'd like to get my hands on your ION.

Last edited by eneloop; 05-23-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Collector's Vehicle?