Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Remove seat from seat rails

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Banned
Default Remove seat from seat rails

Hi, I am going to the junkyard soon and hoped to find a tan-color passenger seat to swap out for my beat-up driver's seat (junkyard pass. seats are always in 100% better shape in my experience, esp. if it was a commuter car).

Is there a way to remove the seat itself from the rails so the seat controls can be on the correct side? Or can I just bolt the pass. seat down on the driver's side with its existing rails, and thus have the controls/adjuster for the seat on the right side next to the trans tunnel?

I don't wear a seat belt ever due to doctor's note excusing me from it so that is not an issue.

Thx,
scotty

Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Scotty

I'm pretty sure the two seats (pass and driver) are not a direct bolt in swap.
You may wish to scour the net if you have not already--but I'm fairly sure. I would think that the controls would collide with the center console. It's in your best interest do addl research to see if I am right and to possibly save yourself from wasting money on a no go.

As for removing the seat from the rails, I'm sure there's a way to do it but I do not have sufficient literature to give you the process.

Maybe keith can chime in --- he has some FSMs

As f

Old 03-14-2014, 01:31 PM

According to the FSM, you have to remove the seat as a complete unit, but once you have it out, you can disassemble it and replace the seat and seat back. It appears that the seat and seat back are both the same, the difference is in the rails.

There are only 4 bolts holding the seat base in place and if you are not replacing the seat back as well, you might be able to do it in place, but there isn't very much room to work with. You will have to remove the center console, move the seat all the way forward, then take the outboard rail cover off (two screws), no cover on the inboard side. Then there are two bolts on each side of the seat itself to remove.

The seat back looks a little more complicated but doable. It might be easier to just remove the seat cover for the back and the padding and swap those instead of the whole seat back.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:40 PM

Yes, you can do that. I did it in the 94 SC1 that I had. It's not that difficult once you get the seats out. What gave me a pain in the *** was getting one bolt out. It's the outboard bolt on the drivers side seat. I removed four different seats to practice on in the junkyard and both drivers seats gave me trouble. The passenger side came out easily. I don't know why.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

And that's why we like multiple knowledgeable people on this forum -- to make sure you get the right answer

In this case it was not from me (LOL)

Ya learn something new every day......

Thanks guys for getting the correct info out there