Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2002 Odometer KM to Miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Banned
Default 2002 Odometer KM to Miles

I just bought a 2002 Saturn SL1.

The second day I was driving it I noticed the odometer and trip meter both were clicking off miles faster than it should. After some calculations I realize it is displaying kilometers instead of miles?

Is there a way to change this? I did a lot of research on the internet and did not come up with anything.

Is there a way to tell if the car was made for Canada and odometer is correct? The Vin does not indicate where it was intended to be sold.

I also have the original owners maintenance records for the first 60,000. It appears the oil was changed every 3000. This to me would indicate that the original owner thought the odometer was in miles.

Thanks.

Last edited by jblank288; 03-14-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

sounds like a either some type of simple display reconfiguration or possibly a BCM programming issue to me. Probably indeed a canada car.

I would call a GM dealer with VIN in hand and see if they can shed some light on it and if the car was indeed a Canadian car. They should also be able to tell you if it is a dash config or a BCM setting that must be changed.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:48 PM

The speedometer/odometer are controlled by the PCM, not the BCM. According to both the owners manual and the factory service manual, it can be switched back and forth, but neither says how to do it. Nothing in the Haynes manual either.

All S series Saturns were built in Spring Hill, TN and there is nothing in the VIN to indicate a destination country.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

From wikipedia:

"The third generation also was the first Saturn to make use of a Body Control Module (BCM), and a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) in tandem with each other. The BCM controlled all interior functions, as well as gauge functions, illumination of the dash equipment, cruise control, mileage displayed on the odometer, and other functions. This allowed the PCM to be relocated under the hood of the car behind the battery. In the 3rd Generation, the PCM is strictly for controlling the transmission and engine of the vehicle. It has no control over any other function besides the running and emissions control of the car."

That was the basis for my BCM comment. I'm assuming someone would have fixed that by now if it was wrong. But I might defer to you (Keith) if you have a third gen (2000-2002) SL1 FSM. Can't remember which you have

In any event, a call to a saturn friendly GM dealership should get you your answer and a path forward.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:44 PM

I do have the 00-02 FSM and I can only say what it says. The tack, speedometer and odometer get their info from the PCM, all other gauge functions come from the BCM. It makes sense because the PCM needs the tack and speedometer info to control the engine.

The odd thing is that I think I read somewhere else in the manual that if you replace the BCM, the odometer resets to 0 so I don't know. I don't know why it doesn't explain how to switch the odo between km and miles, on the newer GM cars, it is user selectable through the radio.