Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Newbie ?, probably beating the dead horse...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 AM

I think our days of road-tripping out west to the mountains are done - and if we did do something like that it would probably be in DH's GMC Safari van (even though it only gets 20 mpg, its his baby). I, OTOH, would go for fuel economy, even if it means the granny lane. The rare trip to MN could be done easily with a 4-banger or a run to south FL if we didn't have to haul a bunch of crap.

I'm now looking at the SOHCs to see what's available as well.

What do y'all think about the wagons, with the extra body weight, do you sacrifice any power/economy?

Old 10-22-2014, 03:36 PM

Rubyhayseed, I wish there was a way to really describe exactly how people in the real Tennessee say it, but they all do it exactly the same way. There's the "Oh!" as their face goes from a smile to a sort of frown, then a pause and finally "that place" in a somewhat disappointed tone. That tone is like the tone someone uses when they find out that something they though was special turns out to be ordinary, not bad but just ordinary or not quite up to their standards. Kinda like having to use a public restroom at a gas station.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:24 PM

Oh, I'm familiar with it, Keith. Born in KY and 3 days later was back home in TN. Raised here all of my life, so I know how it goes! LOL And Ginny, I was through Bucksnort twice today. Once on the way to Nashville and once on the way home. On the way to Nashville with my daughter, we saw two four point bucks out near the munitions plant on our way to........ yep, Bucksnort!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:31 AM

Always cracked me up seeing the sign to Bucksnort. Only in TN would that be a legitimate name for a town!

Nice on the bucks, mmmmmmmmmmm....venison!

So why the planned move?

Old 10-24-2014, 06:32 PM

Well there is Frog Jump, TN and Green Frog, TN and a road in Dyersburg named Hog Waller Road. I used to take it everyday to work.

When I worked in Dickson, I used to go by Bucksnort.

Last edited by keith; 10-24-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by tnvikesfan
Always cracked me up seeing the sign to Bucksnort. Only in TN would that be a legitimate name for a town!

Nice on the bucks, mmmmmmmmmmm....venison!

So why the planned move?
Biggest reason if for the wife's health. She has 3 different kinds of arthritis and the winters here are getting progressively worse for her. She'll also be closer to her 83 year old mother that lives in Clearwater and third is because we bought a business in Polk County and need to get down there to get it up and running. If after a year or so the business is doing well and I decide I don't like it, I'll leave her there for the winters and come back to Tennessee. She can have the business and whatever else she'll need.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

May we inquire as to what kind of business it is (inquiring minds want to know)
Been meaning to call you and ask but this works too. If ya don't want to share the details with all then you can of course PM me.

No Pressure

Old 10-25-2014, 08:15 AM

Of course you may ask, derf. I bought a Little NY Pretzel distributorship. I'm the first to have one on Florida so need to get it up and running ASAP. I'm sure some of our members in or around the NY, NJ areas will be familiar with these pretzels. We've already run into some people around here from NY and they all have said they LOVE the Little NY pretzels and wish they could get them around here. The pretzels are not the hard, salty, crunchy kind that come in a bag like potato chips. They're large, soft pretzels that come individually packaged, like Pop Tarts or a snack cake. They come in 4 different flavors, Plain, Lightly Salted, Blueberry and my favorite, Cinnamon-Sugar! All the stuff is on the inside of the pretzel, so if you're munching on one while driving to work, you don't have to worry about getting crap all over your clothes. How frigging cool is that?

Old 10-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a pretzel today

Sounds like a good shot----being from philly, there's nothing like a fresh philly soft pretzel. That being said, there is nothing worse than a day old philly soft pretzel. I lived in central jersey for 17 yrs but never came across Little NY Pretzel -- must have been further north.

I have no experience whatsoever in running a food based business but I have seen many a new restaurant with great food fail b/c no one knew they were there---no advertising. I don't really know the demographics of your location though I assume the whole state is full of old people...all I'm saying is to be sure to let people know you're there. I'm sure you are already all over such things; just wanna help you to succeed in the venture in any way possible

Sorry to hear the wife is still suffering so much.... sending my best

Old 10-25-2014, 05:42 PM

They've done some test marketing and had a great success and feedback earlier this year. I'll have the second largest county in FL with a population of over one million as of the last Census. They go in and set up the stores for me, along with the displays. All I have to do is keep it supplied on a weekly basis. I don't expect to become a millionaire, but I do expect to make between forty and fifty grand a year once I get established. Maybe I'll be able to send my kids to college yet. My son will be 24 next month and my daughter just turned 20. That's not too old in my opinion. Hell, I was 20 when I started. I'd like for both of them to get into a medical field. Radiology is what I'm recommending for both of them.

Quick Reply: Newbie ?, probably beating the dead horse...