General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Heater Core Hoses assistance

Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Default Heater Core Hoses assistance

Hello. I am changing the heater core in my 1995 SL2 (DOHC engine) and the heater hoses that connect to the pipes off the heater core. Given that the retainer clips chewed into the rubber, I do not think that I can get away with reusing the 15 year-old hoses. When I am done with this repair, I will be seeking professional help (what a pain to do this).

Anyway, there are 2 pipes with different sized diameters (one on driver's side thicker than the passenger side) that thread through the firewall and connect to the 2 heater hoses. The hose that fits the larger diameter pipe is a short serpentine-shaped hose whose other end connects into the right-side of the engine block. If anyone knows what the name of the connection is into the engine block, I would appreciate it. This particular hose I have not been able to find on-line because I do not know the technical name for it nor have I seen any pictures that match its shape.

My bigger concern is the hose off the smaller diameter pipe on the passenger side. The hose connects to the end of the pipe and has an elbow that virtually has a 90 degree bend to it, then it straightens out for approximately 6 inches, then I see the hose apparently? connect into a crimped aluminum tube. A - does anyone know the specific name of this hose and what it likely connects to at the other end? B - is this hose/aluminum tube a special Saturn-only part? C - has anyone ever tried to replace this part and if so, how did you complete it?

I look forward to your response. Thanks.

Regards,
Ed

Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 PM

Ed, to be honest, it is not been my experiance that trying to find auto parts on line has been any benefit over going to the autoparts store and asking the same question to the counter man.
Now I will acknowledge that the experiance may very from local to local and actually with in the local if the counter guy has trouble translating the computerised parts manual into English.
But generally there is some one there that actually knows what they are selling and can help you.
If not, usually there is another parts store just down the road a piece.
With out being negative, my experiance is CarQuest and NAPA have the best allaround parts inventories, but different locals I am sure you will do just as well with and independant, O'Rieligh (checkers), AutoZone and a host of others.
'speceially with hard to find, unique hoses that universal hoses will not work with. Or if backed into a corner you could try to find something through what is left of Saturn Dealers or a GM dealer that can obtain Saturn parts.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 AM

Update - I found the correct hose from Saturn that connects from the driver's side heater core pipe to the engine block; the passenger side hose I managed to remove from the heater core pipe without damaging it, so given that according to Saturn that the hose is discontinued, I will reuse it and remember to pray in Church for 30K more miles on it :-)