Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

SW2 rear latch

Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned
Default SW2 rear latch

Still having problems with the rear lid latch on my 2000 SW2.

I have decide to replace the latch but can not figure out how to remove it.

The latch seems to be inside the moulding that surrounds the rear hatch. It looks like it is in 4 pieces. The bottom part that hides the latch looks to be held in place by a tox screw and at least 2 buttons, one of which I have alread broken the top off trying to remove.

Can anyone provide me any tips on how to remove the moulding and latch?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:19 AM

After you broke the first "button" you probably figured out how they work. Push the center pin in till it clicks, then pry the whole thing out.After you remove the visible anchors, spring clips will still be holding the panel in place- just pry straight out. It's only friction that holds them in place. I just took the latch off of one of my parts cars because someone was having problems with theirs a few weeks ago. I wanted to be sure about the procedure. Was that you?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Banned
Default yes that was me

Thanks for the tips. I will tackle it this afternoon. Do you still have the latch? Send me a PM.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

So I got the top and sides off, startted on the bottom piece, but son had to take the car to work. At least he has a job.

Amazing how easy it is once you have someone tell you how to do it. It was pushing in the pins that was the key. Thanks, hoseppi.

Once I remove the moulding and the latch is exposed, is there a way to test it on or off the vehicle? I would hate to replace it and find out it is something else.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 AM

You can test it with a 12v power source(the best one is the one it's hooked up to).Does it make any noise when you activate it with the lever? It looks like the problem could be that the actuator doesn't return to the "rest" position. I had the same problem with A 99 Park Avenue. When you manually extend the actuator,and then release it, it should spring back to the rest position.

Last edited by hoseppi; 02-21-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

I think you might be on to something re the actuator. If I pull the lever the actuator does click.

If I look at the latch assembly I can see the cable is extended about 1 inch beyond the end of the cable sheath and the lever mechanism. I can force the mechanism down to where it hits the ball end of the cable and the lid will lock in place. But as soon as I release the latch it will not lock any more.

What do you think is the fix?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:03 AM

Sounds like it is stuck in the open (extended) position. I've never taken one apart so I don't know if it is repairable, but that is the first thing I would try. I think someone started a new post today on Saturnalia, about problems (and related fixes) associated with the SW rear latch. If that fails, I still have the one that I removed 2 weeks ago.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Banned

I resolved the issue. I simply disconnected and removed the acuator from the latch. Now it shuts just fine. I use the key to open it, just like old school.

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 AM

OMG, what will the neighbors say? Ya gotta love the old school simplicity. Now if we can just get the IRS to jump on the simplicity bandwagon.