Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

SL2 Door Lock Problem

Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Default SL2 Door Lock Problem

Just realized I've been leaving my car unlocked for a couple of weeks without knowing it. Remote lock button "seemed" to work and horn beeped but I discovered the doors are not locking as they used to. Upon complete examination this is what I've learned.

Pushing the remote lock button causes the horn to beep (as if the doors are locked and the security system is no) but none of the doors lock. If a door is opened the horn has a muffled beep (as it does when a door is ajar when trying to lock the doors) but the alarm does not actually sound. Remote unlock button stops the horn.

Manually locking or unlocking the doors works fine but the remote unlock button only unlocks the driver's door (as it should). Repeated presses of the remote unlock button do NOT unlock the other three doors.

Swapped remote key fobs with my wife for testing and hers does exactly the same.

Checked the door lock fuse and it is good.

Swapped the two door lock relays (passenger side of center console) and no change, they both appear to be good in either position.

Stopped by a GM dealer today and he tested the remote to learn it is good. (I already told him that!) Learned from the parts department a new door lock control module (not a body control module) is located at top center of the dash but a new one costs $375.00 plus about $150.00 additional for programming because it is not a plug-n-play item.

Looks like I will be manually locking my doors from now on as I can't see spending that much money (especially in today's fickle economy) on a convenience.

Any ideas anyone has to help resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I'm comfortable doing all my own work and have adequate tools/test equipment. Just don't have Saturn electrical experience and don't know where to go next.

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM

Did you get an owners manual with this car? If so, somewhere in it is the procedure for setting the door locks. I'm not saying your dealer doesn't know for sure that the module is defective, but I find it hard to believe. I just don't trust those bastards for anything.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I tend to agree with you about dealers. May horror stories could be told from this end of the keyboard.

And yes, I did get an owner's manual. I bought the car new in 2000 and immediately learned the "L" series allows the owner to program the door locks but the "S" series does not and the dealers are sort of quiet on the matter. They say it is an "upgrade" feature on the "L" series.

Anyway, this doesn't seem to be a programming issue. Everything has worked fine for 12 years. One day just "poof" it stopped working as described above.

I'm the one who came to the conclusion it must be the door lock control module (not the BCM) because I think I have ruled everything else out. Since all other interior items (i.e. horn, lights, dome lights, radio, etc., etc.) work fine it doesn't seem to be connected to the BCM. It appears to be localized to the door lock system itself.

Any other ideas?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Banned

For clarification please --> year of car and model ???

Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM

How silly of me to forget to clearly identify the vehicle. This is a 2000 SL2, four cylinder, fully loaded with just about everything except a sunroof. As mentioned above, "everything" inside works except the door lock mechanism.

Thanks for taking time to consider my issue.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 AM

I've never had to replace the door lock module. I have no idea how large or small it is. I have no idea what it looks like or where it's located, nor do I have any idea what the fool thing costs. I know I'd like it to work but would not put that much cash into it on a 12 yr old car. I'd be searching the internet for information looking for a cheap way to get things working.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 AM

You might find how to replace it on you tube. There's a lot of how to do its there.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:32 AM
Banned
Default I might have the answer to this problem

Check the door relay switch located on the bottom passanger side in the fuse box is two door relay switch check to see if they click wh3n pr3ss the fob remote . If they click it the relay a simple fix and replace should do the trick

Attached Thumbnails SL2 Door Lock Problem-image.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 01:32 AM

Two year old thread, and the person never returned. How silly of him.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

1 1/2 yr old thread and HE never came back.

Only the Shadow knows

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SL2 Door Lock Problem