Service Airbag Light?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Default Service Airbag Light?

For the past month or so, the Service Airbag Light has come on at initial startup of the vehicle. It never stays on long ans sometimes the airbag light will come on at the dashboard. I have taken it to the dealership with no luck. (It was not on at the time) Any ideas???

Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Banned

Well, as I understand the system, the light will come on at the startup of the vehicle, and will remain lit for about 6 seconds, during which time, the airbag system performs a self-test. If everything is OK, the light will then turn off.

Is this what is happening, or is your indicator doing something else ???

Old 04-28-2013, 11:17 PM

No, My data only goes up to 2003. Have you done anything about asking for error codes or purchasing a Chiltons/Mitchels or some one's service manual for your car? There is generally a sensor that detects wait in the seat to determine whether to use the passenger air bag or not or even the drivers. Not to mention some form of health check as to things being functional or not. All of which involve plugs that need to be plugged in correctly and not be dirty or cruddy.
What have you checked?
And frankly what dealer did you take it to?
I have to question that if for no other reason than I just received a very folksy letter from my dealer saying my Chrysler was overdue for a radiator flush.
That was impressive.
I can not remember the last decade when my radiator was last flushed. Or whether I even considered it important that one be flushed.
I bought a car not a toilet.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:17 PM

It was taken to a Saturn certified Chevy dealership that we bought my Chevy Equinox from. The Pasenger airbag light in my vehicle wiil come on if you have something in the passenger seat. ( such as a gallon of milk)This comes on when there is a PERSON in the seat.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Banned

OK - your response brings up another question:

Are you concerned with the operation/non-operation of the light for the DRIVER's airbag, or the light for the PASSENGER's airbag? Your original question did not define which light/system you were asking about, and frankly, I'm still not sure.

Please describe again exactly what is happening (or not happening). Use as many words as necessary, because I/we are not there -- you are our eyes ...

Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 PM

Yes................just what is it thats going on? Just what is it you think may be wrong? I'm lost.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 PM

The Service Airbag Light comes on at the DIC at initial startup, but never stays on. The red illuminated airbag light in the instrument cluster has come on at times, but never stays on. Should I be concerned? For me, as long as it does not stay on, it's no big deal, but what would cause them to come on intermittantly?

Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM

Start my ION the airbag light comes on. Put the key in the on position and the airbag light comes on. I'll pay attention to see if it pops on at other times. Concerned, not at this point. Are you?

Old 05-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by mswerb
The Service Airbag Light comes on at the DIC at initial startup, but never stays on. The red illuminated airbag light in the instrument cluster has come on at times, but never stays on. Should I be concerned? For me, as long as it does not stay on, it's no big deal, but what would cause them to come on intermittantly?
Mswerb,

I am sorry you are experiencing this with your airbag light. Your dealership was correct in the fact that the light will come on if you have enough weight in the seat for the vehicle to feel it is equivalent to a person. In the owners manual on page 3-40 it states:

If the airbag readiness light stays on after you start the
vehicle or comes on when you are driving, your
airbag system may not work properly. Have your vehicle
serviced right away.

If there is anything else I can assist you with please let me know.

Erica Tiffany
GM Customer Service

Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 AM

If it's like the Equinox that I had, there's a sensor grid in the seat cushion. The dealer may be able to recalibrate it by connecting it to their diagnostic machine. If the grid in the seat is defective, trust me, it's very expensive to replace. It would be easier to get another seat from an junkyard and replace it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Airbag Light?