Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Changing Front Wheel Bearings/Hubs 99 SL1

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Default Changing Front Wheel Bearings/Hubs 99 SL1

My SL1 has a wonderful roar from the front end that increases and decreases with speed, and stops if I turn right, all the marks of a bearing going. I decided that if one is going it is likely the other is close behind, so I ordered parts for both sides. I was wondering if anyone has a link to directions with pictures on how to replace them, or better yet a video. I know they are pressed, and I will have to take them to a shop to have them press out and new ones in, but while I wait for the parts to arrive, I thought I would see if I can get as much information so I have a good idea of what I am getting into before I even jack up the car.

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 AM

Best bet is to go get a chitlon/haynes manual, which is $25 at most. Will help you with alot of other maintenance also, well worth the money. It instructs you how to get the wheel hub off to take it to the shop, and vice versa. Do take them to a shop to have the bearing pressed in, I managed to crack a hub trying to press it out myself. Also, if you dont mind spending a tiny bit more money, go get hubs from a junkyard, clean them up (you dont really have to do this, just personal preference. if you do, hit it with some rust buster paint afterwords), and have those pressed with the new bearings, that way you can still drive around and your car isnt sitting on jacks while your waiting to get the hubs from the shop. then when your done you can either sell your old hubs, scrap them, or keep them for spares just incase, like I did.

Last edited by Octavious; 09-25-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 AM

Actually the front wheel bearings on this model car are not in the hub, they are in the steering knuckle, the part of the front suspension that serves to point the wheels in different directions and pivots on part of the strut and the lower ball joint. The first one I changed the service manager at the Saturn dealer told me it could not be done. A generic service manual for the Saturn (Chilton, Mitchel or what ever) will tell you how to remove it. And the bearing can be pressed out. I have a press and have done 2 of them.
With out the proper tools to either remove it or change the bearing you are not going to have an easy time of it but it is doable no matter what it is you are told. But the suggestion of buying a book is a good one.
No sense in buying bearings you are not going to use. Or other parts eiteher and that is what books are for. I just bought one to rebuild wooden spoke wheels for antique wagons and I have determined that it will take a whole bunch of work to change the spokes in a wooden wheel hose cart built some where around 1915. A common repair at the time done by a blacksmith. Today? About a $1000 a wheel at a specialty shop dedicated to wagon repair.
Books tell you a lot.
Get one.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:11 PM

I intend to get a Haynes manual, but no one around here has one in stock, so I have to wait for it to be shipped. I got the parts already, they were ordered yesterday and arrived today. I found a how-to with pictures at another Saturn forum, and that pretty much got me through getting the knuckle off. Sadly the machine shop in town was closed by the time I got it off--as usual I ran into some snags as I went in particular missing tools--so I won't be able to bring it in until tomorrow. Hopefully the price they want is not too high. If it is I will likely just go check as some of the shops in town to see what they want for it.