Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

94 sc2 clutch problems

Old 02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Default 94 sc2 clutch problems

i have a 94 saturn sc2 i just replaced the clutch and now can't get it to shift into any gear when running. The car shifts great when not running but once i start it i can't get it into gear. the clutch seems soft...i have tried bleeding both the slave and master cylinder...and now i have replaced the slave and master cylinder and it still does not work. I don't know what to do next...if anyone has any ideas i am willing to try anything at this point. please help if you can!!! thanks Drew

Old 02-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Banned

--- hopefully, you haven't installed the clutch disk upside down ....

Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM

i'm pretty sure that the clutch is on right. I drove it before on the new clutch for about a month...but then the pin in the 3rd member in the tranny sliped thru into the bell housing tearing a hole and causing it to leak really bad, so i replaced the bell housing with another tranny that i had sitting around. I never took the flywheel off or the pressure plate either. anyone else have any other ideas???

Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM

anyone have any ideas that i could check???? Any help is much appricated!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM

I have avoided changing transmissions on a front wheel drive car. So far successfully.
My Mitsubishi went 270,000 miles and I sold it running. The transmission was a bit notchy at that point but the clutch still clutched and the shifter shifted.
I am not sure I understand the terminology used to describe the problem because it is a transaxle is it not. The transmission is part of the third member? So something punched a hole through into the bell housing clutch area requiring you to change the Transaxle which includes the bell housing? Am I understanding right?
Any transmission I have worked on has a clutch throw out bearing that releases the clutch etc and what ever that is mounted on the Bellhousing
If you changed the bell housing/transaxle what did that do to the clutch mounting bits and pieces.
Even a hydraulic clutch works that way unless the hydraulics run a self contained throw out bearing. Those I have not worked on.
But
If you changed the Bell housing/transaxle whatever, it seems that either something did not go back together correctly relating to the mechanics the operate the throw out bearing or the throw out bearing itself is defective.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
I have avoided changing transmissions on a front wheel drive car. So far successfully.
My Mitsubishi went 270,000 miles and I sold it running. The transmission was a bit notchy at that point but the clutch still clutched and the shifter shifted.
I am not sure I understand the terminology used to describe the problem because it is a transaxle is it not. The transmission is part of the third member? So something punched a hole through into the bell housing clutch area requiring you to change the Transaxle which includes the bell housing? Am I understanding right?
Any transmission I have worked on has a clutch throw out bearing that releases the clutch etc and what ever that is mounted on the Bellhousing
If you changed the bell housing/transaxle what did that do to the clutch mounting bits and pieces.
Even a hydraulic clutch works that way unless the hydraulics run a self contained throw out bearing. Those I have not worked on.
But
If you changed the Bell housing/transaxle whatever, it seems that either something did not go back together correctly relating to the mechanics the operate the throw out bearing or the throw out bearing itself is defective.
Uncle john...the 3rd has a big pin running thru it that hold the spider gears in place...same as an truck axle. That pin came out about an inch and tore a hole about 1 nch wide and 4 inches long...caused fluid to pour out. I change just the bell housing and all the clutch part oviously. I even have pulled it all apart twice after i changed it to check and make sure it was right. i have replaced the slave and master and bleed for hours. Can't figure it out!!! I am into 4 wheeling not this import car tuning bull ****. I am used to other fourms where people actully know what there talking about and they actually work on there cars and trucks. If you've never changed a tranny then you should be on face book or twitter not automobile fourms...flame on i could care less!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 PM

U know something jerk, if U had any idea what u were talking about some one might be able to help you.
One of the benefits of knowing how to change something is also knowing when you don't have to.
The odds are I have changed more transmissions, built more cars, and built more engines than you have owned.
And never once had the slightest inclination to beat the **** of of something bashing it through rocks and hills.
An incredibly dumb way to treat a piece of mechanical parts.
As far as import cars, Saturns were designed an built in Tennessee, and if I am reasonably sure, part of the good ol' US of A. I'm not sure where you are from. And at this point I guess i really don't care.
The point with the Mitsubishi, if that is defined as Import xxxxx and having the transmission go 270,000 miles with having to come apart as tuning, you jerk have a lot learn.
Stuff it.
Fix it your self.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

settl' down now...another fine exchange here on Saturnforum.com........

Last edited by derf; 02-16-2011 at 10:10 PM.