Oil Seeping

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Default Oil Seeping

I put an oil dye in to see where its coming from and it's from the (looking at the engine from wheel) lower left timing cover.

It now has over 206K miles. I want to stop the seep/leak.

My main question would be, what would you do while the cover is off?

I thought about new chains, guides and water pump. That may be overkill though with the mileage getting up there.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

You really need to remove the exhaust manifold to change the water pump easily. I would evaluate the guides while in there. You can buy individual Cloyes guides from Rock auto. I replaced the three guides and the tensioner on the water pump chain and replaced the complete timing kit on the main chain. I have a 5% Rock Auto discount code good through the end of October if you are interested. I just went through my L61 that I bought with a broken chain.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:45 AM

Are you sure it's not just the front crank seal, Tooter? If so, you could get a sleeve for the crank and just put that and a new seal in.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Are you sure it's not just the front crank seal, Tooter? If so, you could get a sleeve for the crank and just put that and a new seal in.
I cleaned the whole area a few months ago thinking someone spilled some oil while doing an oil change.

I also thought it was the crank seal and it was dry and no dye coming out.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:49 AM

That sucks. We must be related since it seems we both have the same kind of luck. And that's crappy.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
That sucks. We must be related since it seems we both have the same kind of luck. And that's crappy.
I was kinda expecting something like this to happen since miles are a little up there. Still a great little car, probably one on the best ones we've ever had.

I'm just glad it isn't a full on leak.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Almost all the oil drains to that corner of the engine. With the front cover off any oil you pour in the cam area runs out on the ground. It may only need a new gasket, the lower gasket kit also comes with a new crank seal also.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
Almost all the oil drains to that corner of the engine. With the front cover off any oil you pour in the cam area runs out on the ground. It may only need a new gasket, the lower gasket kit also comes with a new crank seal also.
I figured that was why it was only seeping out in that area.

Does the water pump/balance shaft Chain not stretch like the timing one does?

Old 09-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

I replaced the guides and tensioner on my gold L200 when I repaired the engine. The guides showed a little wear, I used the same chain. 130,000 miles, the main chain had broken and chewed up the guides. It bent all the exhaust valves and two of the intakes. This car did not go in for the recall for the improved oiler and chain kits. I have a late 03 with 210,000 miles and is perfectly quiet. The General improved the oiler mid 03, so the later engines seem to run quite a while. I also have an 02 with 200,000 that ran out of oil and threw #1 rod. The chain and guides in that engine were the upgraded parts and are still serviceable. You can look at the oiler with the front cover off and make an educated decision about how deep you need to go. I can post pictures of the early and upgraded oiler if you would like.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
I replaced the guides and tensioner on my gold L200 when I repaired the engine. The guides showed a little wear, I used the same chain. 130,000 miles, the main chain had broken and chewed up the guides. It bent all the exhaust valves and two of the intakes. This car did not go in for the recall for the improved oiler and chain kits. I have a late 03 with 210,000 miles and is perfectly quiet. The General improved the oiler mid 03, so the later engines seem to run quite a while. I also have an 02 with 200,000 that ran out of oil and threw #1 rod. The chain and guides in that engine were the upgraded parts and are still serviceable. You can look at the oiler with the front cover off and make an educated decision about how deep you need to go. I can post pictures of the early and upgraded oiler if you would like.
I love pictures.....