Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Forward in Reverse?

Old 09-26-2008, 10:06 PM

So... here''s my small list of problems and I''m sure hoping that it turns out to be no big deal but...

I bought my ''92 SL2 a few months ago. The only issue it had at the time of purchase was a "kick" when it would first shift from 1st to 2nd. I''d been (stupidly) putting off a transmission fluid change. Today I was driving it on the highway, when it suddenly made a clunk, decelerated, and started making a noise that sounded like gravel/something dragging.

I pulled over, looked things over and couldn''t see anything wrong, so I was going to just drive it the rest of the way home. When I put it in reverse, it would only go forward. I tried neutral also, and it seemed to also go forward in neutral.

I turned it off in neutral and pushed it backwards so I could drive out of the parking lot in forward, parked it in a different lot and now it''s sitting there. Since it''s the weekend I''m trying to get an idea of what may be wrong with it.

Would it be a transmission problem?

Also, if and when my car recovers from this, is changing the trans fluid/filter on my own a difficult thing to do? I''d like to upkeep it often, and I don''t want to pay a shop to do it every time.

I appreciate any thoughts or advice!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 PM

it sounds like you completely junked the tranny. from the "gravel sound" its safe to say there it would be easier to just get a new transmission than to fix it. definitely not a weekend project. sorry but it could be about 2 thousand to get it fixed

Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Banned

As much as I hate to say it, sounds like Shordinges has hit the nail on the head. Perhaps the ''experienced parts'' warehouse (salvage yard)near to you can help, but it will still be expensive.