Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Stuck ignition key

Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Default Stuck ignition key

Hi everyone. My 96 SL1 5 speed has the ignition key stuck at the acessory position and can't be turned to the next positions. The steering wheel is not locked. Has anyone encountered this and I am hoping that there is a quick and sinple fix other than pulling the wheel etc off. Help is appreciated. Thanks in advance, Brumac

Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

I suspect that the thin contact that turns on your chime when you insert te key and the driver's door is open -- that contact has come loose and is jammed in the key innards. No easy way to fix short of tearing into it andreplacing the defective part

Old 02-11-2010, 07:29 AM

Thank you. I will be getting into it later today, after the garage warms up a bit. Fun - fun - fun!

Brumac

Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Hi I had the same thing happen to me. What I did was grab the key with channel locks when it was in the off position and pulled it out. I had to wiggle it as I pulled on it. I had a spare key from walmart that I use now. My car at the time had over 350,000 miles on it and the key was wore out. After I got it out of the ignition it would not even open the door.All this being said is what I did knowing that if I had broke it I have a Pull-a-Part junk yard not to far from me and I had the wifes car in case it did not work. Your results may vary. Good luck

Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Default Stuck Ignition Key

Hi, well after removing the steering column I found that all I had to do was to press a screwdriver blade into the slot just above the lock cylinder and the lock/cylinder assy would slide out. I found that a spring loaded pin in the end of the lock assy (with the tumblers) had enough force to fatigue the pot metal of the die cast cylinder that the metal finally broke away, allowing the pin to lock the lock assy in position. A local wercking yard provided a used part, which is showing signs of metal fatigue at the same area. If that should fail all I'll have to do is remove the plastic trim and push down in the slot with a screwdriver and pull the lock assy out. I am going to repair the old cylinder with Plastic Steel or JB Weld. I hope this helps someone.