Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1999 saturn sl1 wont start

Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Default 1999 saturn sl1 wont start

Please help I have no idea what the issue is.

Bought car 1 month ago.
Today stopped for gas. Car wouldnt restart.
All lights, Fuel Pump ect have power and work properly.
Starter does not try to start.
Battery was tested and is fine.
Car is auto tried starting in Neutral/Park no change
All Fuses appear good

After working on the car for 2 hours called it quits. Came back an hour later car started up instantly like nothing was ever wrong. drove home turned it off and now wont start again.

If you have any other tips or ideas it would be highly appreciated.

Thank You

Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

check for loose connection of hot lead at starter

Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 PM

These cars like to have problems with the positive battery cable, they come loose, they corrode on the inside from leaking batteries. Check and make sure the negatve is clean and tight also.

Last edited by sw2cam; 03-26-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 PM

All cables are tight at battery and starter. When I got home from work today it started instantly. Turned it off then it would not restart. My sister who owns the car told me over the last month she has owned it the car would keep clicking not letting her fill the gas tank past half way. Yesterday she finally got it the tank filled all the way and now this problem is occuring. The car does seem to start once after it has been left alone for awhile. I am wondering if there is anything with the EVAP system or anything like that which can cause this issue?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

to be sure we are on the same page do you mean by "would not restart" that starter would not turn or that it would crank but not start?

fuel fill issue sounds like it might be a tank venting issue.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by derf
to be sure we are on the same page do you mean by "would not restart" that starter would not turn or that it would crank but not start?

fuel fill issue sounds like it might be a tank venting issue.
The starter would not even try to turn. Are there any sensors on this car in regards to fuel tank venting? Doesnt make sense to me but something fuel tank related is the only thing seemingly possible right now.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

get battery and charging system load tested to be safe to ensure battery is holding full charge and alternator is functioning properly.

if this checks out, and you have had no issues with the ignition switch,
your symptoms are (having presumably ruled out electrical issues) otherwise not inconsistent with a starter / solenoid beginning to fail. I'd pull it and get it bench tested
___

Is it possible the gauge is reading incorrectly and there is more gas in the tank than you think? (have to throw this possibility out there....)

Last edited by derf; 03-26-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM

the problem was a bad starter. replaced that and the car is now running again however I only found more issues.

Valve cover gasket looks like it was siliconed together and is leaking oil. This oil leak appears to have leaked down onto the old starter which surely helped it fail.

Oil is in the coolant reservoir.

Has anyone heard of or used blue devil?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 AM

Do not use any type of additive to try to stop leaks. Either replace the valve cover gasket yourself or have someone do it for you. Oil in the coolant reservoir is not a good sign. You may have a blown head gasket or intake gasket. Do you see any white smoke from the tail pipe when it's running? If so, it's most likely a blown head gasket.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

could also be crack in head.

In any case, not good.

Have you performed a compression test to check head gasket?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 saturn sl1 wont start