General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

o2 sensor 98 saturn sc2

Old 08-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned
Default o2 sensor 98 saturn sc2

Ok. i want to remove totally the cat. convertor on this car... and go straight pipe. Does anyone know where I can find the resistance on that sensor to bypass it? Or know what resistance it is????

Thank you for your time.

**edit** oh ya... got bored today and worked a little on car... put some pictures up under album if ya wanna see

Last edited by Kid831; 08-28-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:35 AM

well ok since i have done it to all my cars... most of mine are OBDI, meaning only 1 O2s to deal with and they are b4 the cat.. so on my impala i jsut got an O2 eliminater sensor.. they are actually cheaper than an o2s from the parts store and i havent had a prob with them

post up the album

Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Banned

hmmm ok... so it is easier than i thought.... i figured i would have to place a resistor of some sort on there.... but there is a after market eliminator is what your saying?

Old 08-29-2010, 10:47 PM

yeah... google o2 eliminator i think... i know they make them for my neighbors SRT8 Jeep... and i know they have them for GM cause thats whats on my 01 Impala.. is the rear o2 a 4 wire plug deal??

Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

The function of the Oxygen Sensor Simulator or O2 Sim is to mimic the signal of an O2 sensor sensing the proper levels of emissions. The O2 sim has an output signal wire that will replace the O2 sensor's signal wire to the engine control module. Now, with the cat removed, the check engine light will be off and no error message will be logged.

It is advised to use one of these devices for off road use only. They are NOT street legal. The oxygen sensor simulator may allow you to pass today's emission inspection because the test merely reads the OBDII log to see if there are any emission related error codes.

An O2 Simulator/MIL Eliminator cannot be used to replace the primary/upstream O2 sensors since those sensors are used to create the proper air/fuel mixture.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 PM

that is true, forgive me, i am used to obd1 where it doessnt measure anything after the cat..... to the op, you might get lucky, my dad just took an extremely clogged cat off my grams 2002 grand Prix, str8 pipe, stock o2s and it still hasnt thrown any codes 3 months l8r... idk why it hasnt... but the post above me is also 100% correct

Hunter

Old 08-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Banned

wanted to thank everyone for there time... I realise it is meant for off-road, but then again.... I am not to concerned about that. I live in a small town so I should be able to get away with it easy.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:08 AM

O.K., another voice chimes in. If you do not have a smog inspection in your state, I am sure you can get away with it.
However
if I read between the lines of Oceon Archer, it is part of how the car works and removing it defeats functional aspects of the fuel injection and engine management!
I have to deal with smog as a yearly procedure and have done so since 1979. I also have built some fairly high performance street leagle, smog certified cars that I can drive every year to the smog center and they WILL pass smog.
There are HIGH FLOW catalytic converters out there. There are perfomance exhaust systems out there.
A significant portion of them to be honest are carefully designed to remove money from your wallet.
Some also actually improve the performance of your car.
I have been screwing around with cars long before the complexity of them were much more than adding electric starters to them
My second car still had a crank for the engine as original equipment.
My point is, unless you want to futz with the exhaust system and you want it to look and sound like something it ain't, and believe me, I have been there too and understand it.
I also know now, other than image, it is a waste of time and money and generally screws up how your car runs.
I can remember blowing the doors off of a twin carbed VW with my perfectly stock Super Beetle that I hated, but I knew how to make it run good, and it did. And twin carbed, looked good and sounded good, but would not run.
Again, if you do not have to deal with smog, that is one thing, if you do, you had better know what you are doing or you are converting your Saturn to a throw-a-way car.
In my opinion.