General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

diy front wheel bearings

Old 12-04-2008, 01:05 PM

Anyone have a diy for changing the front wheel bearings? I''''m assuming the whole spindle assembly has to be removed. strut, lower ball joint and steering link. And I guess the bearing has to be pressed out and pressed back in. Any help will be greatly appreciated as far as short cuts or diy tricks. This road noise has already put a hole in me pocket,lol. Thanks.
Edited by: Mcluvin

Old 12-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Banned

Due to the special tools and expertise required to properly press the hub and bearing from the steering knuckle, I would personally leave this job to a dealership mechanic. However you can save some costs by removing the steering knuckle and hubfrom the assembly and then taketo the dealership for processing ...

Old 12-04-2008, 01:19 PM

Archer, thanks for the suggestion. Thats what I''m going to do. The part the studs are on has come off all ready but half of the bearing housing is attached. Have to go borrow some tools. Later.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 PM

Skip the dealership, they''ll rape you. Find a local machine shop that''ll do it. Around here, the auto parts store that I buy the bearings from will press them as well. Check you see if any of the autoparts stores in your area offer this service. If they dont, they could probably suggest someone that will.

If you really want to do it yourself, you''ll need a 12 ton press and this kit:

Bearing Kit

Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Mike , thanks for the lnfo. I will pull the spindle and take to my friends house to press the bearing both ways.How about the bearing half thats stuck on the hub where the studs are attached. Is there a trick to a simple remove. Thanks again.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:28 PM

Wow what a pain in the a_s ! Have the spindle out and all thats in the
spindle is the outer bearing case,that has to be pressed out. Was going
to use my friends press but I have nothing that big to use to press it
out. Has anyone pressed one of these out before ? And if so what
direction towards the rim side. The side towards the shaft has a snap
ring. Also ruined the ball joint boot, do they make replacement boots ?
Or will I have to replace ball joint, if replacing ball joint can I
just knock it out of the control arm ? Really starting to add up $$$.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:24 PM

OK all is done and noise is gone total 359.86 Monroe wanted 465.00 just for a cat back exhaust, which I installed for 130 and some change. Front wheel bearing I did myself 33.00 $ Had to replace lower ball joint which I tore the boot and as you know thats replacing the control arm to 85.00. I got lazy and only did the leaking rear strut 54.00 (I know) lol. Right front motor mount 40 something. Have the tranny and lower right mounts on order. But the car is nice now, until I change the other mounts it vibrates a little while in drive at a stop sign or light. Any How , thanks to all and I wish all a Very Nice Holiday. Peace.