VTI tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Banned
Default VTI tranny swap

I have a 2004 saturn vue 2.2 awd with vti trans.Is their any other trans that could be used to replace it.I have heard that 03 and 04 ion,s have been replaced with af23 systems.don,t know if that would work for saturn vue.Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks Bruce

Old 02-22-2014, 03:46 PM

Good luck, none of us have done it, and don't know of any posts of those that have.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:37 AM

I am currently prepping to do a VTI to 5 speed conversion just in case you might want to go a simpler and more long term reliable route. Still short a clutch master cylinder so once I get that I will pull it in the shop and do the swap. Other projects in front of it right now.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:52 PM

5 speed conversion completed with no unforeseen issues other than check engine and reduced power lights being on in the dash cluster but no codes stored in the computer nor is there any drivability issues. Only other thing was I had to splice into the small wire attached to the starter and run it in series through the clutch pedal switch so the vehicle had a neutral safety switch.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:13 AM

I am doing a similar swap. 2002 Saturn Vue VTI swapping to a 2005 5 speed. i am curious as to what ECM did you use? How did you get fuel system and starter engage to work?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by gattabout
I am doing a similar swap. 2002 Saturn Vue VTI swapping to a 2005 5 speed. i am curious as to what ECM did you use? How did you get fuel system and starter engage to work?

Sorry folks I have meant to post an update to the conversion. I ran my Vue with the original engine ECM until I located an ECM for a manual transmission equipped Vue. The Automatic Vue ECM causes the vehicle to run under reduced power. Installing the Manual Vue ECM made the Vue run awesome! The only thing is that when you install the new ECM you must teach the new ECM to recognize the vehicle ignition / key. If you need that procedure just let me know. It takes about 40 minutes. There are no trouble lights on the dash like previously mentioned with the automatic Vue ECM installed.

As for the fuel system: The wiring harness which I got off a Vue with a Manual transmission with a 2.2 was a plug and play with my engine and the newly installed 5 speed transmission.

Starter: Use the one that came with the Manual transmission, even though I truly think either will work.

Hope that this helps, Andy

Last edited by blaisa; 12-20-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Default Saturn Swap

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head! What is the procedure to clear the security code?
Thanks, Gattabout

Old 12-22-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by gattabout
Sounds like you hit the nail on the head! What is the procedure to clear the security code?
Thanks, Gattabout

Install new ECM
1. turn key to the "crank position". Engine will try to start then stall and go into security mode. Back key off to the "ON" position. Do not turn off.
Security light will blink then stay on.
2. Wait 10 minutes.
3. Once security light goes out turn the key to the "OFF" position. Wait 30 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 two more times. On the 4th attempt the engine should start. If the engine does not start repeat the process.

It has worked the first time every time for me.

Andy

Old 12-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Lightbulb Communication Reset

Thanks Andy,
I will give that a try.
When I turn key to start I don't hear the fuel system cycle and no response from starter engage. I may have other issues going on also? Will keep plugging away at it. Gattabout

Old 12-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

might be a good idea to hook the battery up to a charger or jumper it to another car that is running to make sure your battery does not die on you mid stream. Sounds like you have already tripped the security hence no fuel pump sound

Quick Reply: VTI tranny swap