Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Trans removal on 97 SL2

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 04:40 AM
Default Trans removal on 97 SL2

Watched a video on removal of transmission without removing engine. Seems like a lot but very doable. YouTube a big help also for those of us that need step by step instructions.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

indeed; reading while trying to visualize vs watching someone do it in real time ----I'd actually do both but there is nothing better than watching someone performing the steps you need to do --- provided they know what they're doing.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:21 AM

Most seem to know what they're doing. I just like to bag and tag while doing things. I finally got the engine and transaxle pulled out of the 98 parts car. Didn't seem to difficult until I got to the right drive axle. Didn't know about the mount on the rear. Found the 3 bolts and out it came.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:49 PM

I finally got the trans pulled and on the ground. Wasn't to bad except for the shifter cable. I'll be reinstalling as soon as the seals come in. It's about a 4 hour job to remove it. Dropping the cradle on the driver's side makes it easy. I've posted more pics on my flickr site for all to see. I plan to replace the drive axles, heater core since the hose clamps will be accessible and the struts since I have them removed. Enjoy.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:10 PM

Hi All, I spent nearly 3 hours today installing the trans with the help of a friend. Have most everything completed except for the right strut, steering rack, battery box and air cleaner canister. Disconnected the hoses on the heater core while the trans and left drive shaft was out. Hope to replace the heater core and get her running. Just hope this trans is good. Had the wife add more photo's to Flickr.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:07 AM

Well, I finally got the heater core replaced and what a job. It took a lot of patience to remove and install all the plastic pieces just to insure I didn't break any of the tabs. After that was completed, I removed the instrument panel to replace the burned out bulbs. Dropping the steering column was the worst of that task. She's all back together, runs good and the tranny shifts great, and the reverse clunking is gone too. This my first rodeo with Saturn's and I kind of enjoy working on them. It looked intimidating at first glance but is rather simple to work on. Hope my granddaughter enjoys it.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats. Hey what bulbs did you use as replacements for the dash/instrument panel bulbs (brand and "type") and where did you get them?

Old 05-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Default Dash Bulbs

Originally Posted by derf
Congrats. Hey what bulbs did you use as replacements for the dash/instrument panel bulbs (brand and "type") and where did you get them?

Derf, I used the bulbs from my parts car so I don't have a number. I remember seeing it on a video so I'll try and find it for you. In the meantime, you can remove the bulbs and test them with a multimeter by setting it on OHMS and touching the probes on each contact for continuity. I checked all of mine and now the dash lights up nicely. I do have a dash from a 98 DOHC which is different from a 97 I found out. Some things to remember is the 2 push pins that hold the dash trim is just that. Push the center pin through and it will fall out the back side. I dropped the steering column by first disconnecting the connecter below the right bolt. This is easier than removing the steering column covers. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you.

If I remember correctly, you need to grind down/taper a certain size 1/4" metric socket to be able to get at those recessed bolt heads in the dash covers. It's in Richpin's ignition cylinder replacement youtube video I believe....

Old 05-14-2015, 04:59 PM

I didn't have any problems with the recessed screws using a 1/4" drive deep socket. Can't remember what size but you only need a 13mm, 5.5mm, and I believe a 7mm. I'm trying to post the video I watched. Hope this works.

Quick Reply: Trans removal on 97 SL2