Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Timing Chain Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:02 PM

Ok, my original post got deleted for some reason so I'm going to try again....

I just bought a 95 SL2 and I'm new to the world of Saturn. Therefore I'm also new to the world of timing chains because I've always driving Chevy/GMC suv's and trucks and they primarily use serpantine belts.

So my question is how often should I replace my timing chain in order to prevent a major mishap? the car has 156k miles on it right now and I have no earthly idea of if or when it's ever been replaced. Any information you can give me on this would be GREAT!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:20 PM

OK, the serpentine belt is used to drive the accessories, like the AC and the
alternator. The timing chain links the crankshaft to the camshaft so that the
valves open and close when they should. Your previous vehicles all had
timing chains for this and your Saturn has a serpentine belt for running its
accessories.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the info, Keith. That didn't really answer my question about when I need to replace the chain but I got my answer from Derf in a different post. The one thing I do notice about these as I poke around on mine is that it seems that if I end up ever needing to replace my chain or belt or even alternator for that matter it's going to be a lot more difficult that it ever was on my trucks and suv's. So far it's treating me pretty well, though. Just small issues but nothing unexpected out of a 95 with 157k miles on it.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Timing chain replacement depends on how well the car was maintained. If the oil was regularly changed and never ran low, the chain should last 200,000+ miles. If maintenence intervals were questionable, I'd replace it now. Whenever I pick up a used Saturn, I replace the timing chain.

Replacing the timing chain isn't really that hard. The serpentine belt is a 5 minute job and I have alternator replacements down to a 15 to 20 minute job. Its pretty easy.

.Edited by: Low Saturn

Old 01-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the info, Low Saturn. Maybe it just looks more daunting than it is. I'll do some more poking around on it and see how long it might take me. I know my way around an engine bay pretty well but just not used to Saturns. I think it's a good idea to get the timing chain and belt replaced since I have no idea how the previous owner maintained it. I know that when I changed the oil right after I bought it the old oil was in desperate need of changing. So that might be a big sign that it wasn't changed real often.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:42 PM

I'm sorry you missed my point. My point was that you have had vehicles
before that have timing chains and serpentine belts. The Saturn is the same
and should be treated the same. Keep the oil clean and don't worry about
the timing chain. Change the serpentine belt if it looks like it is getting
brittle.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the info, Keith. Yeah, I knew that my previous had serpentine belts and I've replaced those many times. I've been told that my previous GM vehicles had timing chains as well but that they were much smaller. I believe they are behind a shield at the front of the block on those. Anyway, I'd just never had to mess with them before. So the big daddy chain was initially daunting to me. I got a Haynes manual today, though, and after reading through that it doesn't seem as bad. Although, in that manual it states that I have to lift the engine slightly to get to everything. I guess that's just another thing to deal with, eh?

Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:40 PM

I have a 152k on mine and I have no intention of replacing the timing chain.
I've seen a few Saturn's with over 200k on the original chain. Maybe we
ought to do a pole on that here. How many miles on your original timing
chain?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by keith
I have a 152k on mine and I have no intention of replacing the timing chain.
I've seen a few Saturn's with over 200k on the original chain. Maybe we
ought to do a pole on that here. How many miles on your original timing
chain?
If you're the original owner, changed the oil every 3000 to 5000 miles and never let it run low, you should be good to go until about 300,000. After that you could be driving a time bomb.

Also when doing a timing chain replacement, the kit comes with an updated oil pump backing plate. Older S-Series are more prone poor timing component lubrication because of the older design.Edited by: Low Saturn

Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
If you're the original owner, changed the oil every 3000 to 5000 miles and never let it run low, you should be good to go until about 300,000. After that you could be driving a time bomb.

Also when doing a timing chain replacement, the kit comes with an updated oil pump backing plate. Older S-Series are more prone poor timing component lubrication because of the older design.
What is considered to be "Older S-Series"? Sorry for the dumb question but I'm new to Saturns and I'm trying to decide if my 95 would be considered "older" with respect to the S-Series cars.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Replacement?