Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Is there a heat sheild over the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Default Is there a heat sheild over the gas tank

Hey everyone I have a 1995 Saturn SL2 Im still new to the car. But i noticed today while replacing my trailing arms a small rust spot on what looks like a heat sheild sheet metal over the fuel tank. Kinda hoping its a heat sheild or sheet metal made into protective cover of the gas tank. I touched it with my finger and made a little hole nothing came out so im assuming its a protective cover but still worried kinda dont wanna go to a shop considering i dont have the money. i only have a jack and jack stands so would appreciate any help guys.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed, there is a thickish piece of sheet metal ("strap support") attached across the bottom of the gas tank. Presumably there to both even out the supporting force between the straps AND to protect the plastic tank from punctures, moose (mooses?), truck tire belts, and the occasional neighborhood child with a swiss army knife.

See link below.

Don't break those trailing arm bolts off -- they are a bitch to deal with after that

Strap Support - GM (21110508)

Old 04-19-2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Indeed, there is a thickish piece of sheet metal ("strap support") attached across the bottom of the gas tank. Presumably there to both even out the supporting force between the straps AND to protect the plastic tank from punctures, moose (mooses?), truck tire belts, and the occasional neighborhood child with a swiss army knife.

See link below.

Don't break those trailing arm bolts off -- they are a bitch to deal with after that

Strap Support - GM (21110508)

Thank you so much man I freaked out about it and was like plz be a protective shield. But thank you. you saved me a ton of time and stress man.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

I am here to absorb the stress, strain, and recoil of Saturn S series ownership. I will eventually implode. But until that day, I shall continue to give out half baked advice under the guise or ultimate knowledge until fellow members start flagging my posts