Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Starting Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Default Starting Engine

Went to start the car this weekend and nothing. Everything lit up as normal except engine did not even make a noise. Checked everything under the hood I could think of with no result. Even disconnected the battery thinking I could reset a possible control module problem. Ultimately, I ran the gear shift through all the gears a couple of times and it started. I'm 99% sure I was all the way in park when I initially tried to start the car. Has anyone experience this? I've been having electrical issues; is this a heads up as to something bad is about to happen?
Only happened once in about 4 times I drove the car this weekend.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Next time it happens, check your neutral safety switch by wiggling the shifter in Park and also in Neutral while trying to crank the engine. If the starter kicks in, then the switch needs to be replaced. Since you can get the car to start, this seems the likely culprit.

2) If you have to have your foot on the brake to start the car, it could be a flaky BTSI (Brake Transmission Solenoid Interlock). Don't know if A/T 3rd gen Saturn S cars have them

Could be some other things on the fritz too but start here.

What other electrical probs?

Old 11-03-2015, 06:44 AM

I'm betting on the neutral switch, but Saturns are quirky cars.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:19 AM

Thanks. I thought there was some kind of switch to keep the car from starting in anything but park or neutral; just didn't know what it was called. My 2001 SL2 doesn't require the brake to be depressed to start the engine.
Most of the electrical issues I've been having I have mentioned in other posts. This starting issue and the odometer light not working are the most recent. Something must be loose on the back of the instrument cluster because I tap the top of the dash board and the odometer light comes on.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:00 PM

The instrument clusters on these cars are very easy to remove. You should at least pull yours and look at the plug connectors and solder connections on it. If you're not sure how to remove it, go to youtube and look up a dude named richpin. He has a multitude of videos on the Saturns.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

the bulbs are likely the original now 14 year old bulbs.
The 95 SC2 I just gave to my nephew still has all of the 20 yr old original cluster lights working......

Old 11-17-2015, 04:19 PM

The car failed to start again today. I jiggled the shift in park and neutral and it still would not start. I disconnected the battery positive and negative cables then upon reconnecting them the car started right up. PCM or BCM? I'm confused.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:58 PM

Scrape the terminals and posts on your cables and battery. Sometimes they build up a "film" that we can't really see and it messes with them. And take a damn good look at the cables. Strip a little insulation off each one and see if they have the "green" monster of corrosion under them. Sometimes it creeps into the cables and you never notice it until you strip them back some. If that's the case, you'll need to just go ahead and replace them, rather than try to clean them. I also use the chemically treated "battery washers" that all auto parts stores sell. I think they help some.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

+1 on the cables/terminals

Old 11-29-2015, 11:53 AM

More trouble shooting. The car starts fine when cold but when it warms up to operating temp and I shutdown the engine and try to restart; no good.
Instead of waiting for the starter to cool down naturally I used a blower to cool the starter down. Then the car started right up.
Has anyone had this? I'm thinking it's the starter. Anyone disagree or have anymore ideas? Thank you everyone for your help.

Quick Reply: Starting Engine