Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

sl2 door locks activate on their own (fire/battery issues)

Old 09-01-2015, 07:56 AM
Banned
Default sl2 door locks activate on their own (fire/battery issues)

my friends kid just bought a 2002 sl2. already the ignition switch is bad I guess. she said she put in wd40 and it worked again to start the car.

but the real problem is the power locks have a mind of their own and will lock and unlock at random and then she has to press a button on the fob and sometimes it activates the alarm and the alarm button wont even turn it off. its just crazy.

so is there a fuse so we can kill the power door locks and even the alarm without bothering anything else? if not, how can we disable the power locks so this doesn't overheat and cause a fire. she even said sometimes she will leave the car unlocked and come back and its locked.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

chattering door locks occur every time I remove or try to attach the neg batt cable while doing electrical work. Check both battery connections and wires for tightness and corrosion.

What is the state of the battery itself? Saturns are quite sensitive to operating voltages. Was the car hard to start b c it would not crank or because she could not turn the key? Get some graphite powder from the lock dept at home depot and work some in there slowly to get the cyl freed up. No WD40. Getting a new key cut from the VIN may help as well.

Alarm system controller may be the issue or it may be the Body Control Module (BCM) which would interface with both the alarm system and the power door locks.
Any other funny stuff going on inside the car w gauges, warning lights, etc acting strange?

Can't pull the fuse on the BCM -- it controls too many things.
Alarm? never thought about it. Check owner's manual

Old 09-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Banned

ive never touched the car to check anything. but I know she couldn't turn the key when It broke down, even after jiggling the wheel.

as far as other stuff she just said the window button doesn't work sometimes.

Last edited by luckydriver; 09-01-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

ok

so you post all kinds of zany symptoms,
I provide guidance in tracking down,
and your response for how to disable the perceived potential fire hazard is "the window switch doesn't work sometimes"?

Sorry, you're wasting my time. I'm done.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:30 PM

hey lucky,
I've had the crazy door locks too and discovered that in order to kill the locks I had to pull TWO fuses. Of course that killed too many other things like derf said would happen but pulling just one of the fuses made the random lock-unlock behavior stop. On my 2000 SW2 it's the 20A fuse labeled "locks" that's in the passenger side fuse panel. I can still hit the power lock button and it will click but not have the power to actually lock or unlock the car. It was really annoying before I did that because sometimes we'd go out to the car in the morning and find it had a dead battery. Must have been locking and unlocking all night long.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:43 AM

Both my SC2 & SL2 have drained the batteries over night from the locks. Can't you just disconnect them from the solenoids, or is it relayed to other stuff too?
On my '96 S10, the instrument cluster was involved with the charging system some how. PAX

Old 09-25-2015, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

how did you handle the issue with your two cars? Posing the solenoid question puzzles me since if you already went through it twice, I'd expect you to propose/share a solution rather than ask about ways to possibly remedy it....(?)

Old 09-25-2015, 03:59 PM

The SL2 I got it back on the road last month and haven't addressed the problem. I carry an extra battery just in case it drains while I'm at work.

The newly acquired SC2 is still in the builder stage. Fresh battery went dead in it when I brought it home. When I swapped batteries, I heard the familiar locking unlocking and left the battery disconnected. PAX