Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

SL2 Door Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 01:24 PM

And neither has OceanArcher after he ripped me off. I wonder where he goes for advice nowadays. Cheating bastard.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

just so you know, Rube, we mods at the time decided to leave his acct open so he could do the right thing and atone for his behavior and MAYBE keep his acct open.

We left his acct open for a full year. At the one year mark, I had him banned.

Such childish behavior for a grown man. Not worth even typing more abo

Old 09-26-2015, 06:10 AM

Nuff said

Old 10-17-2015, 04:35 PM

Has anyone figured out the problem to the door lock issue. My 2001 Saturn sl2 is now doing the same exact thing. It's not the unlock or lock relay.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like you will need to track down an s series door lock control model of similar vintage as your car (junkyard) and pop the dash off. Since it is sitting in the junkyard, get it from a sedan and the programming should not be an issue--it's already programmed.

Otherwise it sounds like time to say bye- bye to the fob use.

If you read through the OP's original symptoms, it SOUNDED like it had armed the system (which takes two presses to beep unless customized) which would make you assume it was locking the doors, but it it neither locked the doors NOR enabled the alarm.

About the only way this could happen is if the RKE module sent a lock+arm command to the door lock control module, which malfunctioned, never locked, the doors, never passed the arm signal to wherever it goes to interrupt the starter circuit, but told the horn to beep as though it had.

So for me. the door lock control module makes perfect sense, and I think is the only way to arm the system, though that sounds wrong as I type it. There must be a key turn sequence that is equivalent. Check the owner's manual

However, if it involves the door lock control module, all bets are off there too....

Old 10-19-2015, 12:32 PM

Please confirm the door lock control module and RKE module are contained in the BCM? If I find a new/used BCM it doesn't have to be reprogramed? Would the keys have to be reprogramed to a new BCM? Thanks I'm not an electrical spec.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

why are you asking me to confirm something I never said nor implied?

Do you have information to indicate that they ARE part of the BCM?

I'm not being a a smartass (that's twice today) --- if you have additional info, we'd all like to benefit

Last edited by derf; 10-19-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:07 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything. I should of asked just straight questions. What I have read in other places is very confusing when it comes to the BCM. It would appear that prior to 2000 that the RKE module was back by the right rear door and that 2000 and later everything is controlled in the BCM. Can anyone confirm that is true?

Old 10-20-2015, 07:43 PM
Default SL2 Door Lock Problem

Popped off my dash pad to take a look at the BCM. Thought someone might be interested in a couple of pics as to what it looks like and where it is.

Attached Thumbnails SL2 Door Lock Problem-2001-saturn-sl2-bcm-2-1-.jpg   SL2 Door Lock Problem-2001-saturn-sl2-bcm-2-2-.jpg  
Old 10-27-2015, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

It's behaving as fully armed but without locking the doors and sec system still properly senses that it has not been disabled with the fob, and the alarm goes off.

From the way you worded your posts, none of the doors lock with the fob? And you thought you had control of the driver's door, but since it was never locking with the fob, it was never unlocking either...

And you hear "door lock system noise" but no doors lock?

Do the door locks work properly from inside the vehicle?

"SOLVED"?

The control center for the 3rd gen is indeed the BCM, and must be programmed by someone with a GM Tech II tool. That means GM dealership or independent mechanic who owns one -- with up to date programming for a 2001 BCM.

Personally I would stop by a Saturn friendly GM dealership and play the pity card and see if you can have them do it for free, or at least negotiate below the diag fee.

(Fr 2001 SC2 FSM)
From pg. 146 of the Body/Electrical Volume 2:

RKE PROGRAMMABLE FEATURES

The following RKE features can be programmed into the BCM. The retailer is able to program these features using the Scan tool.

Factory Default Setting - The horn does not "chirp" with the unlock command from key fob.

Programmable Option - The horn "chirps" twice with the first unlock command from key fob.

RFA Audible Lock Feedback

Factory Default Setting - The horn "chirps" once with the second lock command from key fob (if received within five seconds of the first command) OR the horn will "chirp" three times to signify a delayed locking situation.

Programmable Option - The horn does not "chirp" with the second lock command from key fob OR during a delayed locking situation.

RFA Delayed Lock

Factory Default Setting - The lock command from the key fob
is delayed until all doors and trunk are closed.

Programmable Option - All doors lock when the command from the key fob is received, even if a door(s) or trunk is open.

RFA Visual Feedback

Factory Default Setting - The daytime running lamps (DRLs) flash once with the lock command from key fob and upon closing all doors and trunk during a delayed locking situation.

Programmable Option - The DRLs do not flash with the lock command from key fob.

Passive Alarm Arming

Factory Default Setting - The system is not enabled. (RETURN TO DEFAULT)

Programmable Option - The system arms automatically when the ignition key is removed and all doors and trunk are closed for 60 seconds OR 10 minutes after the ignition key is removed, but no doors are opened and closed. PASSIVE ARMING MODE DOES NOT LOCK DOORS AUTOMATICALLY. (I think yours slipped into this mode)

Pre-Alarm Chirp

Factory Default Setting - The horn will "chirp" for 10 seconds before going into full alarm state if a door or the trunk is opened after the system is armed.

Programmable Option - The horn will stay silent for 10 seconds before going into full alarm state if a door or the trunk is opened after the system is armed.

HVAC Afterblow

Factory Default Setting - This feature is not enabled.

Programmable Option - The HVAC blower fan will turn on about 30 minutes after the vehicle is turned off to remove moisture which may have condensed on the HVAC ducts.
So actually it looks like only a single parameter need be switched back to factory default -- so whether it is faster and better to just wipe it out and rewrite everything to the defaults or to just go in and reset the Passive Alarm Arming back to Factory Default I don't know.....

Keep us posted.....

Last edited by derf; 10-28-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Quick Reply: SL2 Door Lock Problem