Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Security light/ignition problems

Old 10-05-2005, 04:33 PM

I have a 2000 SL-1. It's an automatic. Since I bought it I have struggled on and off with it. The security light and the service light keep coming on (both together, never seperate). I took it to have it looked at, and when they hooked it up to a computer, it said nothing was wrong. The lights typically will go off if I'll restart my car, although this week, they just stay on. The lights don't come on right away, but will often come on after I've been driving my car. After consulting my manual I figured out what the light means. I don't wonder though that it is not causing my other problem.

About Christmas time my car decided one day that it wasn't going to start. It would fire, but die immediately, like it wasn't getting fuel. The security system indicated that its job was to cut the fuel if you tried to start the car with any item other than the key, so I thought maybe my key was dirty or something. We cleaned it with a rag and the car started right up.

This did not turn out to be the end of my problems, nor the solution. This summer it started doing this about once a month, and it just wouldn't start back up. If you wait about an hour or so you can go out and start it up first try! However, once it starts after this, the RPMs go up to 3000 or so and stay there until you either put it in reverse, or brake a few times. And it will often do this on the next several starts.

I read that another user had had similiar problems, but did not mention his security system. Any help would be appreciated! This is tarnishing my Saturn experience. [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:15 PM

My car actually doesn't have a factory security system, but my problem did turn out to be a faulty fuel pump. Edited by: dannyy72

Old 10-06-2005, 12:25 PM

My fuel relay is working I know. Haven't been able to tell if the fuel pump is working, but will look into it. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-07-2005, 04:13 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Are you ready for this one?? Sit down... it could be a short!!!!!!! if so GOOD LUCK finding it. I had a 92 sl1 that developed a short and it would do all kinds of crazy stuff. EX sometimes it didn't want to start, everytime it did start the clock and the radio stations were reset, sometime everything electrical (headlights, spedometer, odometer, tachometer {rpm's}, dashlights, radio, clock) would shut off when i hit the brakes. Imagine doing 75 down the freeway a semi pulls in front of you so you slam on your brakes and the inside of your car along with your headlights go dark, not fun. Any way i was lucky cause as soon as someone suggested a short i knew exactly where it was. I had spilt water on the center councel window buttons. I took it apart cleaned the blacked, shorted conecction points with alcohol and was on my way... However if you don't know where it's at you have to trace all the wires which is a pain, and what makes it worse is maybe the wire moves and only shorts when it's touching something.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 PM

Just to update for anyone else having this problem - it was my lock cylinder on my ignition. It was going bad and effecting the security mechanism. They replaced my ignition cylinder and I haven't had trouble with it since.