Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Score!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:12 AM
Default Score!!!

Ok, y'all, we did it!

Monday around lunchtime I saw an ad on craigslist for a '95 SL2 with 82K on it. We didn't have time to go up there before I had to leave for work, so today I called and it was still there. We went up and took it for a test drive. It's really an SL1 - was apparent when we popped the hood - but that didn't bother us. As we were parking after the test drive, another person was wanting to look at it but DH pocketed the keys. I now have a Saturn in the driveway.

The car is white, with excellent paint, no peeling! Interior is a blue-gray color. It's an automatic (my left leg will feel neglected now), has manual windows but power locks. No cruise control, but whaddaya expect for only $1600??? It does need a few things done, but nothing mechanical. A/C even works (for as long as it will)! We'll be hunting a new driver's seat, I'd like to get a new stereo (has am/fm cassette), and the headliner is saggy in spots.

I will post pics when a: I get time to take some, and b: someone tells me how!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 AM

photobucket and resize them.

But congratulations!

Old 10-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

congrats

Old 10-30-2014, 05:58 PM

Way to go, Ginny. Go to Pull-A-Part on Centennial Blvd in Nashville and the odds are pretty good you can score a decent seat. The headliner is not out of the question either. Headliners run fifteen bucks or so and are not that difficult to replace. I redid the one in my 95 SC2 and it was pretty easy. I just replaced the one in my 99 Grand Caravan as is was a LOT easier than trying to recover that sucker. You can go to pullapart.com and check the inventory of cars they have in the yard. It's just a crap shoot finding what you need, though. You can get the prices for the parts you need too!

Old 10-31-2014, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

[threadjack] Rube, remind me to ask you about the 95 headliner re-do. I am afraid I will break the clips off on the trim pieces as I do not know where they are and am prone to bumbling in such situations.[/threadjack]

Rube --maybe you could write up a short how to on headliner redo's with clip locations and such. We'll post it as a sticky. I know you're way too busy now -- so "whenever".

Old 10-31-2014, 07:46 AM

I don't remember where all of the clips were, Derf, but it's really pretty easy. Actually the hardest part for me was getting the frigging dome light assembly out without breaking it. I did and had to try two at the junkyard before I managed to get a good one. The trim pieces on the A pillar and over the door have to be removed very carefully as do all of the plastic trim pieces. A firm, steady pull is what's needed. There are guide pins on some of the pieces that help with the re-installing. The seatbelts have to come loose from their post anchors too. After that, it's simply a matter of lowering one side or the other and removing it out the door. Of course, I hope everyone knows that the sunvisors have to be removed too. Taking your time, 30 minutes to 40 minutes to get it all loose and removed. The install is a little tricky as you have to make sure you get the rear part installed first as it slides into a couple of notches over the back windshield. Once you get that, it's simply a matter of putting the trim pieces, seatbelt anchors, sunvisors and dome light back where they go. OH, DO NOT forget to string your dome light wires back through the hole before putting all the trim back together. The easiest way is to tie a string to the plug and pull it through the hole. That way if it shifts on you, you can still pull the string and get it out.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

thank you sir

Old 10-31-2014, 02:16 PM

You're quite welcome. The A-pillar trim has a couple of screws in it IIRC, as do some of all of the plastic trim pieces. Common sense will tell someone to look for those. And if you have the grip handles above the doors, they have to be removed too.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:07 PM

Thanks, y'all! So far, DH has taken some straight pins to the headliner and it's not sagging now. That will last as long as we can make it before we do another modification. I dread replacing a headliner, looks like a major PITA.

This weekend I got a new JVC (cheap, but like the one I have in my Exploder and it's fine) stereo with aux jack and usb port. It and the wiring harness was at Wallyworld and not too much $$. Also got a storage tub for the traditional car kit we keep in each vehicle - oil, antifreeze, extra unibelt, rags, ww fluid, etc. - so the trunk will have it's permanent resident. We picked up plugs, wires, oil/filter, tranny filter, all the basic stuff and DH will work on it this week now that it's going to warm up a little. Get it all ready for me to drive consistently. I still need to vacuum it out (been busier this weekend than I thought I would be) and do some cleaning on the seats. I figure the Resolve I have will work to at least get a few minor stains off the seats for now.

Still need to take pics, and none will be done of the interior until it's cleaned!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:30 PM

Pics or this purchase didn't happen

Quick Reply: Score!!!