Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

S-series history

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Exclamation S-series history

A bit of light reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_S-Series

Last edited by sw2cam; 01-09-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:21 PM

Ever since I learned i was getting the Saturn, ive read that over like 10 times lol

Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 AM

This from bits and pieces of memory that today are more foggy than not. SCCA sedan racing was populated by a number of Saturn entries in the beginning. It seems to me that while competitive, they were heavy for there there horspower rating and not overly successful. Also I remember seeing prototype Electric car racing. I seem to remember it was mostly college level activity with factory involvement. And Saturns again were represented well there too. For some reason my memory is saying Sedans were lighter than Coupes thus the race car of choice.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:31 PM

One of the race teams.

Many years ago, Saturn Corporation participated in the Sports Car Club of America racing series. Dave Rosenblum, who ran the Inner City Youth (ICY) Racing Team, ran and managed the team that raced Saturn S-Series coupes, like the modified SC2 you see above. They not only raced, but they won – including the SCCA's World Challenge T2 Manufacturers' Cup. Read more about their efforts – and successes – in an excerpt from a promotional card that Saturn handed out at autoshows in the late 1990s.

The Saturn Inner City Youth Racing Team took home the SCCA's World Challenge T2 Manufacturers' Cup, earning more points than team like Honda, Acura, and BMW. We're especially proud of this award because it says a lot about our cars and our company. Our cars are fun to drive. Torque-heavy tuning, sequential-port fuel injection, true MacPherson-strut front end and optimized tri-link rear suspension give Saturns surprising performance. Our company believes in the strength of teamwork. We've been sponsoring the Inner City Youth Racing Team since 1991. Dave Rosenblum, a recovering substance abuser, started the team in 1984 with a vision of keeping kids in school and out of trouble. Since then, more than 85 kids have gone through the program.

Attached Thumbnails S-series history-icy-quaker-state-livery.jpg  

Last edited by RjION; 10-30-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Banned
Default My 91 SL2

In 91, had a sales job that paid mileage. I went out and got an SL2 TwinCam
with a 5 speed. (Gun metal Blue)

It was a great car, but it didn't have much in first gear. I liked the "tank shape" and I can't remember doing anything to it mechanically for 110K miles. At 80,000 miles Saturn decided that the upholstery had problems. They reupholstered my well worn car!!!! The also replaced my disks because of a rust problem from Michigan.

A couple years later the local Saturn dealer held a promotion with 6500 for any Saturn trade. When the lady saw the 110K miles, she said "Oh No" - too many miles. I said "really? that's not what the ad says" and I faxed it to the newspaper.

Long story short, I got a new red SC2 with alloys for less than 6K! Then the kids came. Ah, the good old days.

Last edited by Ionicbond; 03-29-2015 at 11:10 PM.