Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Restore To New Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Default Restore To New Build

Hi There, I have a 2002 SL2 Maroon that actually belongs to the wife. It runs and drives good but at 221k miles i figured it was time for a overhaul and breathe new life into it.

Completed items: Felpro Valve cover gasket, Bosch Iridium Plugs, Duralast Gold Wires, Duralast Gold Coils, New Hub Caps, After Market Fog lights, Right Side Hub and CV Axle.

Upcoming items: L/R Rear Sway Bar Links, PCV Valve, LED Lighting inside and out, Body work/Primering/New Black Paint, LED front and rear lights, LED AUX Lighting on front Bumper, Custom LED Strobe lights, Aftermarket sound system, redoing the interior.

Theres probably more but i cant think of it right now. Need to figure out how to post pics of my progress

Last edited by Shadonas_S001; 06-07-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:17 AM

Preventative maintenance is always a good thing. Were in TN are you? I'm a native that effed up and moved to FL last year and am now looking to move back to the hills, where I belong.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Preventative maintenance is always a good thing. Were in TN are you? I'm a native that effed up and moved to FL last year and am now looking to move back to the hills, where I belong.
In Waverly about 75 miles west of Nashville.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:52 PM

You have to be kidding! I was raised there. WCHS class of 1974. If you know the editor of the News Democrat, you can ask him. His name is Ward Phillips. See if he knows Charlie Patterson. That's me. His brother Hugh and I have been best friends for 55 years.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:52 PM

i sent you a PM Charlie. and yes preventive work is key to a long lasting car as much as possible. Im getting the Right side HUB and CV done tomorrow. then the other side next as i dont have the funds to do both. Ive been very adiment about keeping this car running and in great shape, seeing as its a 3rd gen version and last year i think of production. maybe second to last. its the last of a dead breed and will one day maybe considered vintage when im older though i doubt it but one could hope. i plan on trying to get this car over 250-275k miles before i have to rebuild the engine itself. i believe it still has plenty of life left in her.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

None of the following is intended to be insulting to either you or your car.

1) Ditch the Iridiums. NgK Copper Stock plugs perform best. Google it.
2) The "last" Duralast stands for last in quality in my mind. No not EVERY thing from Autozone is junk, but a good bit of it is.
3) Why are you replacing the coils? The OEMs in the S cars are extremely reliable. The only logical reason would be failure. Or if you were making this into a show car.
4) Why both front hubs? Are both the bearings worn out? The bearings can be replaced independently of the hubs in the front. Not so in the back. Wait a minute, 2002 had rear drums not discs. Check on that. Something wrong with the rest of the hub?
5) CV Axles both bad?
6) Rear sway bar links - go with Moog and get your grease gun ready
7) Not personally a fan of LED lighting but if you do it please do so safely so that all drivers can see you day (brake lights /turn signals) and night (brake lights/turn signals / headlights not blinding and headlight direction and spread adjusted properly)
8) LED Strobe lights? ABBA fan?

You'd get much more bang for the buck (improved driveability) doing
1) all four struts (most use KYB GR 2's but be warned the fronts are stiffer than stock)
2) both LCA's which include the ball joints. The bushings are long since trashed
3) trailing arm BUSHINGS. Since you are not in the rust belt, the trailing arms are prob ok but the bushings will crumble if you touch them.
4) The rear sway bar end links (as already planned)

Parts source: RockAuto

They usually beat any brick n mortar store by $20 on average for any identical part over $50. Plus large selection of AC Delco parts so you can keep things stock under the hood.
---------------
Again, I'm not bashing you or your ideas/concepts -- I'm only bashing Autozone ---oh and I guess the strobe lights.......
--------------
to post a pic, click the "go advanced" button below the reply text box. The reply box will now have more icons on the top ribbon. Use the paperclip icon to upload pix from your local device. Use the pictureframe if linking to a photobucket pic.

Last edited by derf; 01-01-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:09 AM

Derf is one of the go to guys here on the forum and a friend of mine. I value his advice and he does a crap load of research. He gives great advice and you can trust him. He won't steer you wrong on purpose. Trust him and follow his advice and you'll get plenty of miles and service out of your Saturn.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry if I came across as a bit of a jerk.
It's because I am a jerk.

We take jabs at each other all the time around here. You're new to the scene, I hate Autozone, and strobe lights can trigger epileptic seizures. Too good to pass up when my mood is a bit irregular.

I did give you some real advice in there amongst all the sarcasm....

Wouldn't do it if I didn't care...your project sounds interesting...

Last edited by derf; 01-01-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:06 PM

its ok Derf, i understand as you probably have more exp. with the mechanics of a car then me. Now to see if i can answer some of the items your touched on.

1st. i work at Autozone and have a commerical account there as well so i was able to charge all the parts i listed minus the fog lights.

2nd. the strobes are because i run a disaster response team and we need the white and amber lights we on scenes and in streets clearing trees and other items. we are also in the process of becoming first responders and traffic control units for local ema's as a mutual aid program to allow fire fighters and cops the ability to focus on the scene and not the traffic.

3rd. on the coils i did that cause they was factory and i was replacing the plugs and wires anyways. (i know if it aint broke dont fix it) ive been told that many times now. but im trying to clean my wifes car up and put new parts one it to give it longer life. Im the type that if im doing one section (i.e. ignition and firing) im gonna change all related items.

4th.. Hubs, the right side is the only one that i know of for sure is going out. im not sure if the CV's are going bad but as stated above, once i start swaping items in a certain area then i do it all. i dont half A** it. my luck i would leave oneside along and two weeks later it breaks too. so thats why i fix it all. sadly i wasnt able to afford the tie rods, ball joints, and control arms in front

5th. yes the rear is drums. from your reaction im guessing that they was supposed to have 4 disc braking? and suspension is one of my last projects to cover.

6th. above all else one of the main reasons that im doing all this work trying to restore to new is one, i would like to show it off it the future at shows. not to win prizes but to show that even these little 1.9 SL2's can be done nice and not just the SC's. and two i drive for UBER professionally and i gotta have the car in top working order. or at least as much as possible.

now for side notes, ive been having trouble with rock auto not having what i need. though i noticed that CarID had several use full things.

now i do have question for you Mr. Guru. are there any older model SL1's or SL2's like 99-2000 that have compatiable parts like head/tail lights seating body parts etc?

BTW im thankful for your comments Derf as they were not harsh but made with concern and curiousity

Old 06-06-2016, 07:22 PM

car pic 1

Attached Thumbnails Restore To New Build-dscf1532.jpg  

Quick Reply: Restore To New Build